Snake Racing vs OME lift kits (79 series) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello guys
i think this one is a basic question but can anyone sort it out for me please??
according to SnakeRacing site their 2" lift kit has coils for the front and extended shakles for the rear, but OME and others like Ironman have a set of leaf springs for the rear for their basic 50mm lift kits,
if my main reason for the lift is to fit 33/12.5/16 mud tyres, why should i change the original leafs isnt SnakeRacing solution simpler and better??
cheers

I'm not familiar with either kit, however, just using extended shackles will have a couple of downsides. First is that it only affects one end of the spring, lowering it will serve to rotate the axle housing. Now here is where my ignorance of LC comes it...I don't know if the factory used double cardan type joints in the rear driveshafts. If they did then no real problem, if they didn't, rotating the axle housing will put the u-joints out of phase causing vibration and premature wear. Another downside is that you are using old springs in the back and new in the front, so depending on what kind of usage your truck has seen, it may not lift evenly. All new springs are more likely to give an even lift, and aftermarket springs often have better ride characteristics that the factory ones, they are also engineered for the amount of lift. A spring with more arc to it can compress farther before going into negative arc which is very hard on the spring. A stock spring with an extended shackle can easily be overarced before hitting the bumpstops greatly shortening its life.

Hope this is helpful

Do you need to lift it at all to fit 33's?

And a suspension lift by itself will not give you any extra clearance for larger tyres, the suspension will still compress up to the same point after the suspension lift, so it isn't giving you any extra clearance when the suspension is compressed.

I had my 33.6 OD X 11.5 on a the stock suspension and had no problem. I believe you can go upto 34 OD without any lift.

The factory rear leaves are considered rubbish. The mining companies pull them off when new without even waiting for them to sag.

Tough Dog seem to have alot of the serious offroaders using their gear these days.

Hi there, you won't need a lift for those tires. I have an HZJ79 and the stock tires are 32 inches - so 33's are no problem. Go to 35's and you might start to have issues - 36's and you need a lift for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom