Snake Oil or useful? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's what I've got
DSCN5718 (Small).JPG
DSCN5719 (Small).JPG
DSCN5720 (Small).JPG

I guess I am trying to figure out how you would clean the filter if it was clogged without dumping coolant all over the place. The hose to the thermostat would have to be higher than the top of the radiator.

Or do you just loosen the block drain and drain a little out each time you clean the filter?:cheers:

Yes, you have to lower the level of the coolant. I use my radiator draincock (except for my FJ40 with the water jacket crack, it lowers itself).

Here's a piece of casting material from my F135, travelling through 43 years after the engine was manufactured. It actually didn't make it through the thermostat and was stuck in the the housing, but fairly big stuff gets through regularly.
DSCN5724 (Small).JPG

mine looks almost exactly the same. i ditched the binding wire a while ago.

when i clean my filter, i usually just drain enough coolant out the bottom of the radiator. i dont have to clean it much now, my rebuild hasnt had any barrs leaks in it!

clean screen, replace hose, pour coolant back into top of radiator. top off coolant bottle and be done.

i did like the aussie option. that would make for easier cleaning. but i like the clear view window of the gano better.

Here's what I've got

do they charge extra for that securing wire? I did not see that as an option on SOR ;)

as for potential issues...I think the chances of a rock hit or leak are <0 at best. As has been said, if you can tighten a clamp....

here is something else to keep in mind. Some upper radi hoses, like mine, have a spiral metal flexible support built inside the rubber hose.. so keep this in mind if your system has that as you will need to cut it, or think twice..

here is something else to keep in mind. Some upper radi hoses, like mine, have a spiral metal flexible support built inside the rubber hose.. so keep this in mind if your system has that as you will need to cut it, or think twice..

The wire came from Gano with the kit, via Specter. :D
I don't think it's necessary, but I figure Gano does, so...eh.

Yeah, cutting the hose, even without a metal support, wasn't fun. On the other hand, I think the Gano tube lends support if you don't have an internal spiral.

Well I'll know in a week or two how it works, just placed the order. Hopefully my order will go smoothly without any extra charges or crap. It will be my first order with them in about 8 years...

Been busy and forgot to read this thread! I got the kit from $OR. I ordered the kit, some plastic bushings, two pieces of rubber, a used fan spacer and 4 small screws. Came in a box about 8 x 6 x 6. Weighed 1 lb.

They charged me $20 for shipping/handling. :mad: The shipping label say it cost $4.85 to ship... :rolleyes:

When I get to the install stage I'll post pics of this thing. It looks well built...

sor has a tendency to charge high for shipping on small orders.

I try to remember to buy "everything" in one larger order, but sometimes I forget and get stung.

Still a good shop, all things considered, but you've got to remember to game the system a little.

sor has a tendency to charge high for shipping on small orders.

I try to remember to buy "everything" in one larger order, but sometimes I forget and get stung.

Still a good shop, all things considered, but you've got to remember to game the system a little.

Wow! Nothing like bringing up a 2 1/2 year old thread to talk about SOR.

So, Coolerman, how did this thing work out? Are you up and running yet?

:cheers:

I live 40 miles from sor. 2 hr + trip. That's a 6 gallon trip in the cruiser at nearly 3.00 a gallon. 20.00 shipping would still be a better deal, if you figured time spent.

I'm just reeling from a minor oversight on my part-- paid more for shipping on SOR parts than I did for the parts. Coulda/shoulda waited. My bad, but frustrated.

Wanted to revive the thread anyway to get some info on coolant filtration. For whatever reason, I end up with dirt in my coolant down here. Probably related to very very dusty roads and a reservoir tank that isn't exactly air tight. So I'm thinking about putting a "bypass" style filter in where the rear heater used to be. Just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom