Smoking the LX470 ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a homemade Smoke Machine that I have used to find vacuum leaks on much older cars.

How would you connect on a 2002 LX470?

What needs to be sealed off?

Don't understand what you are talking about......
Can you explain further?

I have a homemade Smoke Machine that I have used to find vacuum leaks on much older cars.

How would you connect on a 2002 LX470?

What needs to be sealed off?
usually you would connect near purge solenoid in the engine compartment. depending on what you want to test. if you think its a bad fuel filler neck or hose on top of tank you could connect where your filler cap goes. I have not dug into TechStream far enought to find what actuation trssts are available. The small leak is done after a "cold soak" which is with a relatively full tank after sitting over night.
Record DTCs. Clear codes. do diag for DTC.

Last edited:
On older Mercedes I connect my Smoke Machine in at the Brake Booster, and use a rubber glove to cover the air intake.
Just wondering how its actually done on our 100s.

Don't understand what you are talking about......
Can you explain further?
A "smoke machine" is a technique forcing a smoke gas into the air passages with the intent to reveal any Vacuum Leaks.
The smoke machine I use is one I made from an old paint can, soldering iron, and filled with baby oil.
It puts out a harmless smoke that will show if there are any loose or broken vacuum hoses, or openings in gaskets.

On older Mercedes I connect my Smoke Machine in at the Brake Booster, and use a rubber glove to cover the air intake.
Just wondering how its actually done on our 100s.
connect any vacuum line going to intake. there is a service port in most obd2 vehicles in engine compartment, has a green screwon cap.

connect any vacuum line going to intake. there is a service port in most obd2 vehicles in engine compartment, has a green screwon cap.
That's what I am looking for.
I assume the "service port" is for vacuum.
Where exactly is it on our 100's?

Here or by purge valve

20210124_094836.jpg

20210124_094922.jpg

Thanks for point that out.
I found the port on my 2002.
Looks like I will need a special adaptor, or do folks just disconnect the hose for the Smoke Machine connection?
Does that label "1 PSI maximum" apply to the Smoke Machine pressure?
On my old school Mercedes I used a bicycle pump to pump up the Smoke Machine and that would be more than 1 PSI.

ZZZ_2021_01-24_005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom