Smoking Brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
andrewloe.com
After a 20 minute drive, when I park there is an acrid clutch/brake smell - and occasionally if I do a lot of stop-and-go driving there will be some white smoke (very subtle) coming from the wheel wells. I'm not quite sure if this is brakes or knuckles or what.. Ideas? I'm kinda worried about this.

Then I'd still suspect brakes.
Brake fluid, maybe?
Not many fluids that can drip onto the rotors.
Gear oil and bearing grease are the only others I can imagine would be able to hit the rotors.
Either way, pull the wheels and see what you can see.

smokey brakes

its time for a knuckle rebuild bud! i had the same problem years ago, turned out my seals were shot and seeping through on to the brakes.

freebornred said:
its time for a knuckle rebuild bud! i had the same problem years ago, turned out my seals were shot and seeping through on to the brakes.

I was afraid of that - there is lots of sludge on my front diff and front driveshaft/ front of x-fer case. How long can I hold off on the rebuild? Anyone in RI want to help me :D

Sounds like the inner wheelbearing seals. Grease/oil combo then drips onto the brakes.

Best to do a full rebuild. Should hold a while if you don't use the 4wd too much. Just don't go into deep water or mud.

FJAfrica said:
Sounds like the inner wheelbearing seals. Grease/oil combo then drips onto the brakes.

Best to do a full rebuild. Should hold a while if you don't use the 4wd too much. Just don't go into deep water or mud.

Good to know, I need to gather the parts and what not, just really don't want to have my truck outta comission all together.

I have the same problem and lots of sludge on the knuckle.

Touch the hub when you think the brakes are hot. Then proceed to the caliper & rotor. You'll know if it's the brakes or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom