Smoked trout/weber (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're welcome phsycle...glad you like it.

Good to know HD has started carrying more than mesquite and hickory!

Dan

Was looking through a Cabelas catalog from xmas, and saw that one of their offerings was salmon, smoked with a sun dried tomato and basil mix on top, so that's what I did tonight. In addition to an experiment with OB Iries Sauce on afew, to send to him.
Any one else firing up their smoker out their?
-Jim

No...lately it's been rotisserie sessions here. With pecan fueling the smokiness. But I'm all out of smoked habaneros...so need to move this to the top of the list.

@spressomon,
I have had great success with your brine recipe for my steelhead and trout over the last few years. Thankyou
Now I'm prepping for a batch of trout, and was wondering ……...…..
It is also time to harvest my pomegranates, I'm thinking of a pomegranate (and maybe balsamic) glaze on the fish right after they come out of the smoker.
How does that sound? Got any ideers or suggestions?
-Jim

Hey Jim! Long story and apart of a few moves and woman issues LOL later...I no longer have a smoker/my Komodo Kamado. In fact, sacre bleu, I don't even have an outdoor grill either! Regardless, I've made pomegranate molasses before for glazing chicken/turkey which might just work on trout too.

Well, finished the trout and vac sealed.
Have not made the glaze yet, but it is in the works later.
Also my local source of Alder is out, and I tried some apple n pecan mixed in the smoker box.
Seems to have worked out, as the wife devoured 1/2 of a trout while I was letting them cool.

I'm thinking of doing up another batch of Steel Head. I've got some filets in the freezer and need to get after them.
I picked them up at the beginning of this Covid crap, back when Costco was being stripped of all the basic essentials.

Man, I need to get back to this.
After I was injured at work in 2015, I had to go back to the Admin Office periodically,
and had more than a few people asking for my smoked steelhead.
So now I've been out for 7 yrs. Wow time flies

Man, I need to get back to this.
After I was injured at work in 2015, I had to go back to the Admin Office periodically,
and had more than a few people asking for my smoked steelhead.
So now I've been out for 7 yrs. Wow time flies
You best get on it...

I've wanted to do some more albacore if I can make the time.

Albacore is a fantastic meat to smoke! To can it, I smoke some to a "not quite done" since the canning process involves some additional cooking. The rest gets smoked to a final level (pretty moist still is my preference) for vacuum seal or eating right away. If I intend to keep it for long periods vacuum sealed, I'll smoke it a little drier for storage. It's usually consumed quickly however!

Butt

Albacore is a fantastic meat to smoke! To can it, I smoke some to a "not quite done" since the canning process involves some additional cooking. The rest gets smoked to a final level (pretty moist still is my preference) for vacuum seal or eating right away. If I intend to keep it for long periods vacuum sealed, I'll smoke it a little drier for storage. It's usually consumed quickly however!

Butt
That it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom