Smoke When Pulling Off Highway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.baxterboo.com
Just had my 1996 80 for a week. Had the oil changed a couple days ago and had been smelling oil a bit after. On the way to work today, however, there was a fairly extended bout (probably 30-40 seconds) of oil-smelling smoke coming from the engine compartment when I pulled off the highway. It was still smoking a bit when I pulled into the parking lot. I popped the hood and it appears that it was coming from the side of the block that the oil filter is on.

Seems odd that it was more smoke than I had seen the day after the oil change, so I'm a bit worried. Oil pressure and temp are fine. Oil level seems fine so far.

There does seem to be some residue that has dripped down onto the front axle, but I haven't found any oil spots on my driveway. The axle looks much like the one in this thread... https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/367302-do-80s-burn-oil-general.html

I hadn't noticed any oil smell or smoke on the original 250 mile drive home from where I bought the truck, though much of that drive was at night.

Any ideas?

If everything checks out, then I would just continue to drive it and monitor fluid levels.

Is your oil filter tight?

Did you change the oil yourself or was this done at a Jiffy Lube type place or a dealership? If at a Jiffy Lube I would check the filter right away to make sure it is 1.) the correct filter and 2.) was installed correctly.

Lots of stories about some of the oil change only businesses leaving off filters completely, not putting in correct amounts, using incorrect parts etc.

+1 Monitor fluid levels. Could be pooled oil from a messy oil change.

Just went out and checked the filter. It's there and on tight. I also took some more photos. Lots of oil down there, and it looks like maybe it's been leaking for awhile. I also noticed a fresh drop on the pavement underneath.

You can click any of these pictures for a closer view on Flickr...

View from above by front belts:

Axle, et al:

And then there's this. Appears fresh, and is splattering out from the wheel. Appears to be oil. Not good.

Echotree: did you actually see smoke?? IME that would be unusual unless as mentioned above hot oil was spraying from a loose oil filter. I would take it right back to the place that changed the oil, don't wait.

Edit: just saw your photos; you've got other things going on; what you're probably smelling is something getting on your front brake rotors; you can see the leaking onto the inside of the DS front tire. You may have a few different leaks going on. I'd take it to a car wash and hose off the front, bottom and DS of the engine; avoid getting water on the top of the engine, maybe remove the bottom skid plate before you wash it off. The leaking on the tire and wheel looks like it's coming from the front axle. Do the leaks on the tire/wheel smell like gear oil??

Last edited:
Did you change the oil yourself or was this done at a Jiffy Lube type place or a dealership? If at a Jiffy Lube I would check the filter right away to make sure it is 1.) the correct filter and 2.) was installed correctly.

Grease Monkey. Sigh. Not sure if it's them, though. Closer inspection (see pictures) shows that there's caked on oil that I (of course) didn't see pre-purchase. :bang:

Echotree: did you actually see smoke?? IME that would be unusual unless as mentioned above hot oil was spraying from a loose oil filter. I would take it right back to the place that changed the oil, don't wait.

I did see smoke. 30-40 seconds worth when pulling off the highway. I'll take it back by the oil change place after work today.

I'm probably going to take it to Slee this weekend. I guess they do service, right?

I see a front end rebuild in your future.

Check the distributer for leaking where it meets up to the head.

In that last picture you posted it is clear that the axle seal is gone and it is time for an overhaul of the front axle.

In one of the pictures it looks like you oil pump cover seal is leaking.

It may be a really good idea to start by cleaning up the undercarriage and engine bay to see where you leaks are originating from.

AFAIK Slee does service and knows 80's very well.

In that last picture you posted it is clear that the axle seal is gone and it is time for an overhaul of the front axle.
How can you tell? (Yes, I'm a total newb). The liquid is oil that has run down the axle as far as I can tell.

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks in advance.

If you look at the end of the axle where the knuckle ball is there looks like a small river of gear oil leaking down to the tire. Smell what's leaking; if it has a pungent smell stronger than engine oil then it's gear oil from the front axle. There is a seal on the axle shaft which keeps the gear oil from the differential out of the steering knuckle which is packed with grease. When that seal goes bad the gear oil first leaks into the knuckle (the big dirt covered thingy on the end of the axle ball thingy) then it leaks out of the knuckle onto the tire.

Here's a link to the front axle service, it has a lot of information and photos to help visualize how the front end is put together.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/78276-front-axle-rebuild-faq.html

Last edited:
The smoke you got is probably from your leaking axle seal and the diff oil got on the rotors and that is why it was intermittent.
The whole inside of your wheel is covered with diff oil, which means it probably got on your rotors as well
Your axle seal is toast as well as having some other oil leaks
Your axle is the source of the smoke

Did you have the diff fluid changed too? Topping off the diff oil may have exposed the bad axle seal. A front axle service is intimidating but not too difficult. If you can afford to have someone else wrench for you, you can't go wrong with Slee.

The smoke you got is probably from your leaking axle seal and the diff oil got on the rotors and that is why it was intermittent.
The whole inside of your wheel is covered with diff oil, which means it probably got on your rotors as well

This is all starting to come together. POs complained about the shoddy brake job the previous shop did, said that the front rotors were screwed up because of it. The brakes are definitely squishy. Yesterday, the ABS light came on for about 3 minutes, which I had chalked up to the brake work needing done.

Here's some more pics of the axle seal:

And one of the new oil filter from below. A tiny bit of drippage on the filter itself, but nothing looks like it's coming down since the initial oil change.

Looking around the engine compartment, it overall looks pretty clean except the areas that are in direct spray range from the left axle seal.

x2. Although it wouldn't hurt to repair the engine oil leaks, I would do the axle seal asap. If you keep driving that bad boy it could catch on fire. It probably won't but it could. Not to mention your braking power is reduced.

Did you have the diff fluid changed too? Topping off the diff oil may have exposed the bad axle seal. A front axle service is intimidating but not too difficult. If you can afford to have someone else wrench for you, you can't go wrong with Slee.

Grease Monkey (apparently) checked the diff fluid, and have them marked as "Full" on the service receipt.

Anyone have any idea what sort of price range I may be looking at? That'll decide if I pay for an expert wrencher or sucker my father-in-law into helping me with it. If it's too expensive, a little in-law bonding may be in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom