Smoke rollin out of the dash... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, last week I am doing the duty of taking the father-in-law 2ho is in town on a tour of Yellowstone for a few days and all of a sudden smoke starts pouring out from under the dash, the radio dies, and the clock goes out. I jump out, pop open the fuse boxes and pull a few out. The smoke dies down and no clock or radio. I get home and pop out the glove box, then I put the dome fuse back in and start the car to try and find my source of smoke. Turns out its coming out of the amp to the right of the glove box hole. I pull the fuse and remove the 3000 degree amp and after its cooled down, I open it and find circuitry fried. This is the only place I found evidence of burning. So...

Is it the amp? or is there something else that caused my amp to take in too much power? The radio doesn't work - is there a fuse in the back of it or will it start working again if I replace the amp?

Toyota alarm and remote door locks no longer work either...

everything is stock...
I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Has anyone installed anything like stereo, etc... on the vehicle?

no, everything is stock

How long have you had it?

DougM

Make sure you check the speakers. Especially the stock subwoofer, since it is pretty wimpy. If you killed it, you could be driving your stock amp into a direct short. This will quickly overheat it, blow fuses, or fry it, depending on how well designed it's internal protection circuitry is.

thanks, will check the woofer. had the rig about 4-5 months now. usually spend most of my time fixing my 60 and don't have to worry about this one. currenty its the wife's vehicle, but I am about to take it over and sell my 60 soon. thanks for the help!

Smoking Dash

Just had the exact same thing happen to me moments ago in my '91 Cruiser - haven't pulled the glovebox out yet to survey the damage, but thought I'd find out what you ended up discovering and doing?

Thanks-

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom