1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoke removal

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bkgiii, Mar 19, 2004.

1. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

Upon delivery of the two front leather seats, I know know why they were such a good deal: they MUST have come out of a LX that caught fire..the odor is horrible!

So....shy of an ozone generator, anyone have words of wisdom on the most effective smoke removal process / product?

2. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

Not sure if this will work, but last year a mouse or something got caught in the air vent in my sis's Maxima.checked and nothing, ..rotten smell...put some distilled vinegar in the car over the weekend and sucked out the rotten smell. then she had a car smelling like vinegar..then put some dryer sheets in the car and made it smell better

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    There are guys the car lots use to de-stink a car and it works! cost for a dealer is $40 for for Joe Blow its $60, we recently sold a house to a guy who does this localy, he is gonna do my 100 when I stop smoking.

4. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Good luck on that one pimp I am on day 5 now without. Dang kid wants me to be around when he is older and all that.
    Dave

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I aint started yet.......but me and Connie are both gonna give smoking(cigs) up.......someday in the near future. But before I do that I want to loose 10-15lbs........the old lady has been fatting me up........I guess to take me off the market ;)

Might try hypmotisism, have a client that does it, $75 and its a money back guarantee.......I just hope he only has me stop smoking cigs :D

so how has it gone in the last 5 days?

John H

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=13398;start=msg124041#msg124041 date=1079733270]
    Good luck on that one pimp I am on day 5 now without. Dang kid wants me to be around when he is older and all that.
    Dave
    [/quote]

6. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Time to try Leatherique ? It's claimed to bring back the new leather smell.

About quitting smoking, my dear friend has quitted more than ten times, ya know what I mean...

Frank.

7. jeffb

jeffb

bkgiii,
    this may sound ridiculous but try a dilute soln. of oxy-clean. it seems to work on everything else. let them dry and follow up with a quality conditioner.

regarding smoking. Samuel Clemmens once said: "quitting is easy. i've done it a thousand times".

jb

8. ELLTEE

ELLTEE

Guys - it can be done:
    I gave up cigarettes four years ago after a 30-year habit.
    The first 10-days to two weeks are the physical period, but once you get through that detox and get the nico out of your system, it's all mental. You've got to learn how to think of yourself as a non-smoker or at least a former-smoker. And never slip even a little bit.
    Cruiser content:
    The Lexus leather cleaner is great, and their conditioner is almost as good -- and very simple to use; wipe on and work in, wipe off excess, done. New car leather smell is also great.
    The Leatherique is great stuff, but it's a pain to use, IMO. Only worth it if you're restoring something like a 1965 Benz with cracked red leather seats -- they won't look like new, but they'll be a bit softer and less cracked and you maintain the original interior so the car is worth more to collectors.

LT

8)

9. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Forget about getting the smell out. It's not ON the leather, it's IN the leather and IN the padding behind it and in the foam seat squabs. I'd get my money back as that would be an item the seller should have disclosed.

DougM

10. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

pimp,
    day five sucked and day six is ok so far. without the nicorette patch I think I would have killed at least three people yesterday. cruiser related content I would have run over my boss as one of the people with the cruiser so there.
    Dave

11. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

Doug, you're exactly right: it's IN the foam. I've been soaking it with Febreeze for a couple of days, and it seems to be much better. In the meantime, I also found a local biohazard cleanup business...may touch base with them.

As for the quitting smoking: It's been 4 weeks for me now......amazing what an unexpected hospital admission with chest pains and a heart cath will do for one's motivation!

12. Junk

Junk

Well, to get rid of the smoke stink, you could let Rogue's momma ride in it, but it would still stink, just not like smoke.

That said, I agree with the comment above that you should get your money back. Once it's been around smoke, it will never be quite right.

Pimp - better make sure he doesn't convince you to sell any of your cruisers while you're under.

Phaedrus and bkgiii - congrats on giving it up. Don't know how hard it is since I never did it, but watched my dad struggle for years. I'm sure your family appreciates it though as you are doing them a huge favor. BKgiii - didn't know you had an emergency call - glad everything apparently went ok. We don't need you pulling a poof on us ok? :D

13. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

Yeah...the wife prefers no 'poof', either....at least that's what she said ;)
    Cardiologist said aortic insufficiency, and advised me to be nicer to pigs, since I'd become familiar with them sometime in the future....

14. yomama

yomama

I know where you quiters are coming from. I have been (cig free) since Dec. 10th or 11th. I would say this is probably like the 20th time I have tried to quite as well. I always broke down (usually with a beer in the other hand) and had that 1 cig that won't hurt me, that was my mistake. I am using Zyban to help take the edge off. One day at a time is how I look at it.

Yomama

15. Tank

Tank

Send it back if you still can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its that bad of a smell, kinda bad business to NOT disclose that in the sale. Maybe its just me.....

16. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Yomama,
    day 9 now.....
    actually off the patch now and just having all of my techs who work for me a little scared of me. Nothing like a five year old telling you to quit to get you motivated.
    Dave

17. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

If you cannot send the seats back, you will need to take off the covers and then the foam. Wash your foam in water (nothing else) in the shower or tub about 10 ten times letting it dry outside not inside each time for a day or two. Fresh air is the key. Treat your leather with a cleaner and then let sit in the shade outside at the same time as the foam. I did this with a seat that one of my basset hounds pissed on. It was so bad you could not drive the car. It took a while, but fresh air and water will take away the smell. Just takes time. The first thing though, as mentioned above, would be to shove the seats up the sellers arse.

18. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

Oh, coming from a psych industry, if you really want to quit smoking, you have to modify the behaviors that occur DURING smoking. Smoking for most is a correlated activity with another behavior e.g. drinking, waiting, eating. You will never quit smoking if smoking is all you quit. The behaviors that surround smoking are looked at in more detail in therapy than the actual act or need to smoke. Just a thought.

19. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

J-Mon: to fill in the rest of the story (re: arse-shoving), I'd have done exactly that. Herre's what happened though: I lost the bid on e-Bay initially in the last 30 seconds or so. After a week passed, the successful bidder contacted me directly, said he needed gray, not tan, and graciously offered them to me at his bid price. I accepted. Therefore, i have no recourse to the original seller, nor to e-bay, I guess. I could take the same approach with the winning bidder, but..well, what's the point? I should have been more diligent in my inquiry in the first place. I may try the washing thing, though...sounds like good advice, and less expensive than the bio-folks wanna' charge..

Oh, on the behavior mod..so right...tried it before, learned the same thing. But for the 'scare', I'd have had to stop driving, though.that was my trigger.

20. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

......which means (to get this thread back on point so Junk doesn't move it) that I'd have had to sell the LX and someone else would be posting similarly low-tech questions !

Thanks...off to the foam washing device sometimes referred to as a bathtub.