smog pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my 60 back Friday, with a new smog pump installed.
I didnt notice it a first, but i now have a definite whistle at higher rpms, around 2k.
at idle , its not there, but even driving, when i depress the clutch. thereby increasing the rpm's a bit between shifting, i can here it.
i went and tightend all the hoses from the smog pump, and looked and found no disconnected vac hoses.i thought it might be the belt for the pump, since the guy didnt replace it, but its most definitely an air leak.
could it just be the new smog pump making the whistle?
it doesnt affect the driving, but its annoying as hell

hammer

Well, you've got a lot more air volume running through the system now, possibly, so the increased volume coulb be finding a weak point and working it's way out, where the old pump couldn't do it...

Is the whistling road speed or RPM based? The ASV will switch in my truck at 45mph and you can hear it start to hiss - the air is diverted from air rail on the head to the exhaust system. There's a weak hose on the ASV (sits on the driver's side fender) and that's where the hiss comes from...

Just one possibility.

it seems to be rpm based, since i can rev the engine and it get more pronounced. but it also come on suddenly, and i believe it IS about 45 mph. ill have to check that ASV

what is the ASV vavle?
i love SOR's site, since they show all the vac piping and such, but they dont show a ASV. is there another name for it?

That's it - number 25710 in the diagram. Mine hisses on acceleration, and on decel, it will make a ticking sound...well, not so much a ticking as it is a rattle-snake noise, if that makes sense. Mine hisses on the front hose that connects to part number 17361 (long metal tube).

If yours is doing what mine does, if you get under the hood and rev the motor by hand, you can hear a little bit of the hissing, then let off the revs and the hissing or ticking will get more pronounced as the engine decels. The ASV - it might be called the ABV, too...it's either the Air Switching Valve or the Air Bypass Valve (can't remember) it also switches when you decel from the air rail to the exhaust...

Hope I haven't confused matters here...hell's bells, it's really hard to describe. Basically the air injection system works in three stages. 1) low speed sends the air into the head. 2) high speed (45 and over) sends the air into the exhaust pipe and 3) overheating cat sends air into the breather. Thing is, when you decel, it switches from phase 1) to phase 2) - if it still forces air into the head, I think it could cause backfiring and do damage to your valves. So you might be able to hear that noise more if you decel from under 45mph.

hmmm...mine is DEFINATLEY a whistle...no hissing or ticking....
im just wondering where to look first. i can get out my "stethascope" but when ive done that on other sounds, all i hear is the whole engine, only magnified.

try some soapy water and look for bubbles or drive truck underwater and look for bubbles, Either would work fine.

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in the above picture, it was the hose to the pump, no 17342.
even thought it thought i had tightend both the clamps, the one clamp on the pump end wasnt pushed all the way on, so when i tightened it, all it did was clamp down on the hose, rather than the nub on the pump.
backed the clamp all the way off, and shoved it down, tighend the clamp, TA-DA! no more noise.
BTW, it was beuforts soapy water that did the trick!
thanks for all the halp guys!!!!!
hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom