Smog pump parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure I am not the only LC owner on a budget and scramble for blood pressure pills when I think about replacing my smog pump. At the request of my neighborhood I have removed my pump and taken it apart. The noise is from these thin strips of metal that were apparently forcing some sort of carbide metal strips against the vanes of the pump. I assume to help create air pressure in the housing. The bearing appear fine but the carbide strips are, well, dust. I have only 3 out of 6 and the three I have are clearly worn down. I have checked hte archives and noone mentions there little strips. HELP!

:confused:

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to spend only a few dollars on these little sticks and slap her back in. I have mixed feelings about the NAPA unit. Man-a-fre said they would rebuild the original for 125$. NAPA is just down the street though...

Any one have any thoughts on a power steering pump rebuild kit?

Following up on the idea that a leaky PS can contaminate the SP.

I have seen power steering pump gasket kits to rebuild them. You could try SOR.If is leaking I would fix it or just going to continue to have problems with smog pump.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=34892

I rather spend the money for a Napa one then chance rebuilding one. They are all rebuilt by the same company. Go to Kragen or your favorite local parts shop. Aske them who rebuilds them or look on box. Probably will be like A1 Cardone or something like that. Do a search on here.. lots of info on this.

used stuff?

another direction is to buy used stuff... cruiserparts.net has em for $150, I have one from an 85 fj60 I'd sell you for $75 plus the ride from 50312.

I also have a used ps pump (less pulley and resevoir) which I'd include for another $60.

no guarantees because the truck they came off of was frozen when I bought and parted it, but I believe they're good.

might be a good way to go for you

I built my own PS pump in my 60, and i would say it was about a one bannana build. I would do that route if you could.

Great suggestions. I have to think about what to do with the dollars. Do I tear them long ways and throw them away or just crumple them up and shove them straight into the air clearner. It' s a tough call.
I will definately fix the PS prior to addressing the SP issue. BTW, love this Board, read for a year or so before signing up.

You could, while having the smog pump open:
- remove the three vanes & flimsy metal frames.
- remove the little bearings if they don't slide off with vanes
- ensure no crud in the way of rotating drum that vanes were in
- put backside housing back on
- install in rig
- live happily ever after . . .

So what your saying is run it as a shell? With out the pressure from the pump wont I have a problem with performance?

O R I O N

for some reason i was thinking you were in kalifornia and needed to keep it running for smog kompliance reasons.

i gutted the smog pump on my 60 when I desmogged the rig...only had it in there to tension the belt for the p/s pump, and the truck ran great.

I don't know what impact a de-vaned smog pump would have on an intact smog system though

good luck

PabloCruise,
I have vanes and good bearings and read your rebuild link. It doesn't mention, however, what you did with the metal strips that flank the vanes on each side of the barrel insides the pump. Will the pump generate pressure without them ? BTW I have read many of your comments on various links and usually found them helpful... thanks. I'll go clean off my nose now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom