SMOG PUMP gone bad??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two Questions:

1) When spinning the pulley wheel on the smog pump by hand without the belt on, i.e. no load, just spinning it around, should it spin freely without resistance like a bicycle wheel, or should there be a slight and constant drag on the wheel similar in feel to the PS pulley wheel? Seems obvious, but I'm also assuming that there should be no squeaking or squealing noises too.....

2) If the smog pump went TU, started squealing, etc..., could it cause the seal on the H20 pump to blow and dump most of the coolant since they share the same belt? (increased drag on the pulley wheel?)

Thanks gurus,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

dogboy2 said:
Two Questions:

1) When spinning the pulley wheel on the smog pump by hand without the belt on, i.e. no load, just spinning it around, should it spin freely without resistance like a bicycle wheel, or should there be a slight and constant drag on the wheel similar in feel to the PS pulley wheel? Seems obvious, but I'm also assuming that there should be no squeaking or squealing noises too.....

2) If the smog pump went TU, started squealing, etc..., could it cause the seal on the H20 pump to blow and dump most of the coolant since they share the same belt? (increased drag on the pulley wheel?)

Thanks gurus,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

1. There should be a constant drag but smooth. If you removed the hoses off the back you can feel the air pulled in one and blown out the other.

2. I doubt it would cause it to leak. I think it would break the belt before any damage would be done to H20 pump.

Your smog pump going bad and you are trying to figure out how long you can get by before it goes?

The question is why do you think your smog pump is going out?
power steering leaking?
oil in the air cleaner?
oil in the air lines in back of pump?
reman smog pump?

those smog pumps are known for going bad, mine did the same, and made a horrible squeel and burned up the belt. and no, the smog pump should not have the drag that the ps pump has. it should have very little drag at all and almost spin freeley for a rotation or two. there is no reason it should damage the h20 pump.

NocalFJ60 said:
1. There should be a constant drag but smooth.
The question is why do you think your smog pump is going out?

power steering leaking? - it was when I bought the truck before the new PS pump was installed

oil in the air cleaner? - no: running a K&N

oil in the air lines in back of pump? - will check...

reman smog pump? - no, still OEM original

Not sure: H20 pump died a few weeks ago with only 12K miles on it (new OEM part 3 years ago). Blew most of the coolant out of the weep hole. Heard sound like bad bearings, pulled over as the engine started to overheat and popped the hood to discover coolant spewing out of the bottom of the H20 pump.

I've got the truck all apart right now and thought I'd check other parts & pieces while everything was exposed, especially those parts that share the v-belt with the H20 pump, enter the smog pump.

Upon spinning the smog pump pulley wheel, I'm noticing that it spins almost without resistance except for one point in the pulley wheel's revolution where it starts to drag a bit, then frees up again. Also noticing some squeal/squeak. It's original as far as I can tell (certainly looks it) and would be easy to address now before I button it all up again. Solidly passed emissions a year ago so it was working then.

Just covering my heine here, trying to make sure that there wasn't a contributing factor to my H20 pump's early demise.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

P.S. don't use SOR's aftermarket coolant hoses -- not impressed with the lifespan at all :eek:

your smog pump sounds like it is spinning like it should. the pulley will spin and have a slight drag spot, that is the pump stroke, as for the h20 pump, could be either it froze at some point, coolant/antifreeze? only sat it 'cause i've done it...or it was a bad pump to begin with, or your belt was over tight.

Yeah be careful not to tighten the belt too tight. That could put stress on the water pump bearing and cause it to go bad prematurely.

I'm going with the "belt was too tight" theory on this one....makes sense since I just put a new belts on it a few thousand miles ago and every other part I've inspected checked out O.K..

Just picked up two Kriket belt tension gauges from Napa which will be better than my ruler/straight edge/flashlight deflection method. And if not, I guess I'll have to spring for a dial gauge.....

Thanks everybody for the help - I appreciate it :D

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom