smog pump eliminator FJ60 kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a part online for $179, anything cheaper?

Air Pump Eliminator / Idler Pulley MAN-A-FRE

Yes, take the vanes out of your pump.

OR Jim C had pulley kits, but I'm not sure what the price is.

OK, forgive my ignorance, but how do acomplish that? Just gut the pump so it spin freely? is the failure rate low when ran this way?

Hey! I just went from rookie to forum regular! At least I didi something today!

Do you have your smog pump pulled off right now? There are a few bolts that hold on the "cap" to the end of the pump. Take out the bolts and get the cap off. This is how you get to the vanes. Disassemble the insides of the pump and get the three vanes out and the metal springs that are in there too. Put it back together and it's basically just a pulley.

It won't push air anymore and that's what you're after...I'm assuming you've desmogged the truck already?

It's actually pretty straight forward. As far as failure of the pulley bearing, I have not heard bad things about running a pump with no guts. If anything it might prolong the life of the pulley bearings.

its still on the truck, making an awful racket, i may take it apart this weekend, thanks for the advice!

No problem. I gutted mine and I haven't had problems with it. Hope yours goes good too.

You can also buy a couple of different pulley kits that elminate the smog pump.

JimC pulley ~$109 IIRC

Top of the bracket needed shaved a bit but is a quality component.

When you guys "desmog" one of these cruisers what exactly does that mean? I'm going to gut the smog pump but don't exactly understand what else needs done

When you guys "desmog" one of these cruisers what exactly does that mean? I'm going to gut the smog pump but don't exactly understand what else needs done

Well first thing is that you have to understand that "Desmogging" is actually illegal as you are technically removing all the emissions equipment from your truck. Now depending on the county you live in and whether there are emissions restrictions/regulations is what matters.

If there are none in your area that you are subject to then search "desmog" on here and there are plenty of threads that will walk you through the process, there is even a document on how to do it.

Basically, DESMOGGING is removing all the emissions components from your truck, ie the smog pump, EGR systems, etc and rerouting all the vacuum lines for the eliminated items. That mass of spaghetti and metal on the drivers side around the smog pump, all that goes.

Well living in Wyoming I don't deal with emissions at all. I'm gonna remove the smog mess....what document are you talking about? I'm new to this site so I still don't really know the ways to find all these things...I do appreciate the help though.. my 40 already had the smog stuff gone but I'd like to at least keep the power steering in my 60.

Well living in Wyoming I don't deal with emissions at all. I'm gonna remove the smog mess....what document are you talking about? I'm new to this site so I still don't really know the ways to find all these things...I do appreciate the help though.. my 40 already had the smog stuff gone but I'd like to at least keep the power steering in my 60.

This thread will make your brain hurt. And then you'll understand it and feel silly once you're done :)

My Desmog Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom