Smog Pump Bypass Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all--

So my mechanic just told me that the smog pump on my 87 FJ60 has seized (I thought it was the water pump), and that replacing it would cost about $1k. I don't live in a place that requires a smog pump, so he suggested that I find a smog pump bypass kit and install myself. Have any of you done this or had this done? Can a semi-novice do this kind of thing? I don't know where to begin, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
b

You need this thing:

Basically, it keeps that belt in play by replacing the Smog Pump (AKA Air Pump) with a pulley.

You can definitely do it yourself, with basic tools. Search the forum for something like "Smog Pump replacement" or "Smog Pump removal." Take the pump out and replace it with the Idler Pulley. Run the belt around the new pulley and tension it, and there you go.

Take a look at the old smog pump and see if it's covered in ATF or Power Steering fluid. If that's the case your Power Steering pump has been leaking on it, which could be why it seized. Then you can search "Power Steering pump replacement."

There are a few different vendors for the smog pump delete pulley, but the one linked above is your best value. There are other bits listed for a complete desmog, should you want to attempt that.

Pulley Install is as easy as remove the old pump (then sell it to me - Really :) - we need them here in Calif and can get them rebuilt), bolt the new pulley in the same spot using same hardware, put the belt on, adjust tension, and off you go.

There are threads on how to desmog the engine, and you (or mechanic) should probably do this at the same time, though not really necessary.

Huge fan of slapping a second alternator there and running dual Alternators

cost is the same as that pulley kit.

desmogs can be done for free and don’t need a kit, but makes things easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom