Smog pump adjusting bracket on OEM PS conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at the SOR catalog, page 48, there are two smog brackets (item #4) illustrated for 8/80 to 8/87 FJ40's - one for power steering, one for manual steering.

When converting manual to OEM PS, is it necessary to replace the smog bracket? Is this a clearance issue with the PS pump bracket?

I don't yet have the PS pump bracket in hand, so this may all become obvious when it arrives...

Kirk

Will these help?

Not sure what vintage...
MVC-295F.JPG
MVC-293F.JPG
MVC-300F.JPG

I used the one that came on the fj60 PS pump, but I did not use the adjusting bolt(for some reason), just the lock down bolt, use a prybar to adjust tension.

one of these(heck if I remember) is OEM fj60, the other is OEM fj40
70811449.jpg

I think this is the OEM fj40
70700245.jpg

Landpimp said:
I used the one that came on the fj60 PS pump, but I did not use the adjusting bolt(for some reason), just the lock down bolt, use a prybar to adjust tension.

I think this is the OEM fj40
70700245.jpg

one of these(heck if I remember) is OEM fj60, the other is OEM fj40
70811449.jpg

I think you are right about the 40.

I believe the 60 bracket has the slot furthre away from the engine, so in the second pic, it would be the one on the left...

Minor correction:
In Pimp's side by side pump photo, the adj bracket on the left is for larger 81-87 air pump. The right bracket is for 79-80 2F w/ smaller air pump.

It is not a bodystyle (40,55,60) difference, rather a symptom of the tightening emissions noose.:mad:

old pic......I couldnt remember which was which ;)

but the 40 pump is off a 81(OK maybe an 80, so yes different emmsions if thats the case, and it very well might be), But 8/80+ 40/60 AFAIK has the exact same emmisions, I know my 82 fj40's are the same as my 86 fj60

(note, I better print this post with pic so I know which pump is which.....only took me less than a year to forget so far ;)

John

FJ40Jim said:
Minor correction:
In Pimp's side by side pump photo, the adj bracket on the left is for larger 81-87 air pump. The right bracket is for 79-80 2F w/ smaller air pump.

It is not a bodystyle (40,55,60) difference, rather a symptom of the tightening emissions noose.:mad:

TJ,
Yes, the 81-later pumps are bigger in both diameter and depth, so they displace more air per revolution. However, the pulley dia increases by 20-25mm, so the pump RPM is slowed down a little bit. Overall, later pumps move more air, but I don't know the exact percentage increase.:confused:

If somebody needed to know it would be simple to disassemble the 2 pumps side-by-side, calculate volumes and then calculate shaft RPM based on pulley sizes. Let us know what you find on that.:D

PabloCruise said:
Jim,

Do the later pumps push more air? Sig amount?

As a side note: you can see the early vs late smog pumps in Pablocruise's pics. the upper engine pic has the later pump(4 bolts on the pulley) and the lower engine pic shows the early pump(pressed on pulley)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom