Smog pass/fail?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tech_dog, Mar 2, 2007.

1. tech_dog

tech_dog

My old 94 just EASILY passed the California smog. I've been anticipating the day it fails, but it's emissions are still around 1/10th what it woudl take to fail.

Do all of these easily pass smog checks, or are some people having problems beyond keeping the CEL off?

2. fj80psi

fj80psi

Do they have you run AWD dyno for enhanced smog in SoCal? We don't have to Dyno yet in smaller cities (Northern Cal), just all the other headaches. I was picked for a random "test only" when I bought my 91.

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I don't think they run dynos for any full-time 4wd vehicles in CA.

4. TORTUS

TORTUS

My 95 flew through emissions here in AZ, I was worried that it might not. I was very surprised, it hardly even registered on the test.

No AWD dyno either.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  5. Lugboot

Lugboot

Media:
    Albums:
    If your state doesn't run AWD dyno, you're probably getting a Two Speed Idle test. No NOx checking included. Just CO, HC, and CO2. I would think with the way most of the people on this forum take care of their trucks, you won't have a problem passing a TSI tailpipe test. I would assume that Cali standards are stricter than PA, but you gotta be pretty gross to fail a TSI test. There's also more leeway typically built into the system for older vehicles that were never engineered to meet current standards.

1995 is technically pre-OBDII by EPA guidelines, so they really can't scan for codes. But, for all I know, there might be a visual component to the test to look for the CEL or MIL being lit up. Kinda doubtful, though.

I can't speak for certain on the exact test routines CA runs, just working off knowledge from some other emissions programs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.