Smog for 1978 FJ40 in California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I just joined the forum. My smog guy retired after 25 years and now I am trying to figure out why he didn't tell me that I needed so many items to visually pass smog in Los Angeles. Does anyone know where I can find the exhaust insulator and air cleaner inlet for my CA 1978 fj40? I've been searching for over a month now. Thank you so much.

Hello all. I just joined the forum. My smog guy retired after 25 years and now I am trying to figure out why he didn't tell me that I needed so many items to visually pass smog in Los Angeles. Does anyone know where I can find the exhaust insulator and air cleaner inlet for my CA 1978 fj40? I've been searching for over a month now. Thank you so much.
Sorry I can’t help you but is this the exhaust that you need, Just a pic for you , It might help you find one, This is on my 76

B18A02DC-F545-4A19-A6CB-39537DA74D1E.jpeg

Not my rig, but photos posted by Fast Eddy years ago. In the middle picture it's the attached piece with the opening facing up where the hot air tube connects into. The last picture is one of the rig.

Funny. That last photo was mine from when I was selling a spare insulator. I bought that insulator and later on discovered that my CA exhaust manifold was cracked in so many places that I had to replace it with a Federal manifold.

There are VW heater ducts that can be used to replace the flexible warm air intake hose that connects to the part in that last photo. I'll dig out that VW part and post the number tomorrow.

Last edited:
No way that's your photo!! What a small world! I can find the hot air tube at SOR, it's that exhaust insulator/thermal reactor piece I have to find. Thank you spot cruiser!

I think I probably had the last new CA manifold heat riser. It had been sitting in my garage for at least 10 years. If, as you say, the flexible tube is still available, you can modify a steel Federal manifold insulator to suit the CA manifold. That's your best bet.

17167-61031 is the part number for the CA manifold insulator, if you want to try looking for it.

Last edited:
I have one of your heat shields/insulator. PM me. I get off work about 3:00 I can take pics then.

I called Mark this afternoon and left a message.
Message received. I do not have either of the tin metal pieces you are looking for. :(

I have one of your heat shields/insulator. PM me. I get off work about 3:00 I can take pics then.
Awesome! Thanks
Message received. I do not have either of the tin metal pieces you are looking for. :(
Well thank you anyway Mark. I just talked to referee. What I need is a heat stove. I'll continue my search...Enjoyed reading your soapbox until 2 this morning!

Not my rig, but photos posted by Fast Eddy years ago. In the middle picture it's the attached piece with the opening facing up where the hot air tube connects into. The last picture is one of the rig.

thanks NOT a cally rig its FEDERAL emissions parts there ?

Awesome! Thanks

Well thank you anyway Mark. I just talked to referee. What I need is a heat stove. I'll continue my search...Enjoyed reading your soapbox until 2 this morning!

i have these going on ..............

i have had excellent feedback too

these are exact clone for a original i plucked at the dealership in college

1610577255285.png

1610577279893.png

OEM thermostatic air clear mount and tube is not required to pass. You may fabricate your own or install a universal one from the parts store.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom