Smog for 1978 FJ40 in California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have these going on ..............

i have had excellent feedback too

these are exact clone for a original i plucked at the dealership in college

View attachment 2552426

View attachment 2552428
Matt,
Sorry slight hijack....
Any idea if you've seen the "black" CA emission sticker that goes under the hood? I bought a used replacement hood and it's sticker free, but I'm concerned once I replace my stock hood I will have a hard time passing smog without the sticker. Thanks

This is exactly why my cruisers are pre 76 living in California!! Back in the day my 78 k10 would pass smog easily, and had every piece of smog bs removed. If an engine is tuned correctly, it shouldn't need all the lame devices. ( problem now is they have lowered the hc and co levels so low, it is very hard to pass emissions test.( gov doesn’t want our old rigs on the road)

This is exactly why my cruisers are pre 76 living in California!! Back in the day my 78 k10 would pass smog easily, and had every piece of smog bs removed. If an engine is tuned correctly, it shouldn't need all the lame devices. ( problem now is they have lowered the hc and co levels so low, it is very hard to pass emissions test.( gov doesn’t want our old rigs on the road)
Love telling the story of taking in my ‘76 K5 for it’s last smog check in 2008 (non-op-d after that). Told the ’tech’ (I use the term loosely) that it would pass readily, as I’d just rebuilt the Qjet and changed the plugs. He still put me off for almost an hour, secretly hoping that I would leave.

He was pretty much incredulous when it passed, and asked if I had an exhaust analyzer at my shop. I told him I did not. Then he asked me how I set the lean drop idle.

I held up my two hands.

In my most deadpan voice I said: I put one hand on the valve cover, and use the other to turn the little screws. When the motor runs smooth, I F’ing leave it alone!

His face showed no sign of recognition. :meh:

I have had my k10 for 25 years( it has been non oped as well( I just don’t use it) It will still start right up and purr, the amazing thing is the q jet has never been off or opened up!!!( it does need the accelerator pump, but I don’t want to tamper with it!!

Matt,
Sorry slight hijack....
Any idea if you've seen the "black" CA emission sticker that goes under the hood? I bought a used replacement hood and it's sticker free, but I'm concerned once I replace my stock hood I will have a hard time passing smog without the sticker. Thanks

all i have related is what i posted here in this thread ..............

sorry

In my most deadpan voice I said: I put one hand on the valve cover, and use the other to turn the little screws. When the motor runs smooth, I F’ing leave it alone!

His face showed no sign of recognition. :meh:
My Uncle told me about my Grandfather tuning his vehicles by placing a half-full glass of water on the engine or air cleaner and adjusting for minimum ripple.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom