Smog and Distributor Guidance Needed for my '81 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

My build thread is linked in my sig. I have an '81 FJ40.

Right now I'm trying to understand the best course of action regarding my distributor. This is also making me question things involving the smog equipment.

Here are facts and questions I have in my head so far, in no particular order. Please answer or correct me as you see fit! :)

1. Doesn't seem to be possible to buy a new or NOS NipponDenso 19100-61102 which is the factory installed distributor.
2. Is it possible to buy a rebuild kit, or parts that would let me rebuild it to like-new condition? It ran when parked.
3. I'm told I could buy a NEW (non original) distributor from a vendor here, cap off the retard circuit, and reroute the advance to a direct ported manifold vacuum hole of some sort. AND this would allow it to work with the smog equipment. BUT it would still fail any sort of emissions check.
4. I could buy a new, non original distributor AND desmog the engine. My county/state do not require emissions checks. I would love more info on the legal ramifications of this. It seems relatively common.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
1. Doesn't this statement conflict with #3?
Do you really need a brand new dizzy?
2. Yes. @4Cruisers is the resident guru.
3. See #1 above
4. See #2 above and contact @4Cruisers

3. See #1 above
1. Updated to say "non original".

I'm trying to go new when possible.

2. I'll see what 4Cruisers can offer.
4. Same.

Thanks!

3. See #1 above

@4Cruisers

what are the options if one or both of his BIG cap vacuum advanced and retard diaphragms have holes in them and do not hold pressure when a

hand held vacuum pump is applied ?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

is there an issue?
what are the symptoms?
what is wrong with the distributor?

Hi All,

My build thread is linked in my sig. I have an '81 FJ40.

Right now I'm trying to understand the best course of action regarding my distributor. This is also making me question things involving the smog equipment.

Here are facts and questions I have in my head so far, in no particular order. Please answer or correct me as you see fit! :)

1. Doesn't seem to be possible to buy a new or NOS NipponDenso 19100-61102 which is the factory installed distributor.
2. Is it possible to buy a rebuild kit, or parts that would let me rebuild it to like-new condition? It ran when parked.
3. I'm told I could buy a NEW (non original) distributor from a vendor here, cap off the retard circuit, and reroute the advance to a direct ported manifold vacuum hole of some sort. AND this would allow it to work with the smog equipment. BUT it would still fail any sort of emissions check.
4. I could buy a new, non original distributor AND desmog the engine. My county/state do not require emissions checks. I would love more info on the legal ramifications of this. It seems relatively common.

Thoughts?

The later distributor (that you have) is one of the better Toyota distributors; all electronic (no points). It has the dual vacuum advance mechanism; the inner port/diaphragm is for the base advance, and the outer one is for the High Altitude Compensation system, useful if you ever drive above 4,000' elevation. The problem is that the dual advance mechanism is no longer available, when/if the advancer fails.

If you do go down the de-smog road, your ignition timing can benefit from a more aggressive advance curve. I de-smogged mine (1980) and had Jim Chenoweth rebuild and re-curve a big-cap FJ60 distributor for this purpose. Not sure if he is still able to provide this service, due to the vacuum advancer parts being NLA.

If you want to keep your truck all Toyota, then you have options from @4Cruisers and @ToyotaMatt. If keeping it all Toyota is not important to you, then you could buy an HEI distributor like many others here, but if you go this route make sure it has the Toyota drive gear installed.

Last edited:
Your distributor looks like it just needs a good cleaning.
Test the advancer mechanism by putting some vacuum on the ports. If they work, clean it up and run it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom