Smittybuilt rollbar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched mud for hours and read probably every post about rollbars and cages. From what I read stock rollbars offer little to no protection in a roll over. What about the dealer installed Smittybuilt rollbar with the 45 angle, is this any better than the factory or is it junk too? I have 71 FJ40 and those of course did come with any rollbar and I would like to put one in. I really would like the metal tech Jackson cage, but with all the other mods/repairs to get it on the road the cage will have to wait for awhile. I can get a Smittybuilt rollbar for next to nothing, is it stronger than the stock rollbar or is it just for looks too?

Your heading the same direction I am. Many of the cage I've seen endup limiting passengers to a space smaller than a Miata bu don't confine arms and feet inside making it easy to get an arm or leg crushed in a rollover.

Here was the site I was looking at.

Downey Off-Road

Where your source for Smitty's products?

Last edited:
I don't think the Smittybuilt is made any more. I can get an older used one for $50, just has some surface rust. But if it will crush in a roll over as I read the OEM will, I'm not sure I want it.

its better that oe as long as it not rusty .... $50 run it and save up for a Metal tech .... thier stuff flat works if you plan on goin over

I can only speak for the Smittybuilt " rollbars for trucks" , but i do know that they were only for show and not strength. I had one in an old truck of mine and they made sure to point out it was for looks / show only and not for saving any lives.

If it's anything like the other Smittybilt roll bars, nerf bars, etc. I've seen, I would honestly stick with your OEM roll bar.

JEPSON

You have to understand that in a rollover, your bar has weak points in any extended, unsupported length. Its efficacy is also hindered by your attachment points. If you plan to position it on the tub, beware that your life is being guaranteed by sheetmetal, and not necessarily your bar. The smitty has more of a "foot" which distributes the weight across the tub. If you plan on "goin over", you probably want a cage anyway.

BTW, how long you been in Spokompton? Make it to the park lately? Probably not in this snow!

I wouldn't hesitate running a Smitty bar. I had one in my first cruiser and it saved my life. I rolled the vehicle off a 100 plus foot cliff. The truck rolled many times and landed upright on a rock the size of a 1 car garage. I was injured, but the bar kept me from getting crushed. As always a well built cage is better, but those bars are not bad for a single hoop. Just make sure you have it fastened well. On my first cruiser the body sheet metal was sandwiched between the bar and a long & wide piece of thick steel. It held well. But of course the sheet metal wasn't really that old. It was a 70 cruiser and the accident happened in 74. If your unsure of the quality of your body metal tie it to the frame.

I would like to get the MT cage as well but need to save some cash.
I just got my hands on a NOS Smittybuilt cage kit, front hoop and 4 overhead bars, the PO bought 2 extras, these have never been installed, the tube is 120 wall, so it should be competent with the addition of a bar across the dash, one behind the seats, some additional gussets and grab handles.
There is a disclaimer on the instruction sheet " Smittybuilt tube bars are decorative accessories. They do not provide safety or rollover protection." To most of us this is a pretty obvious disclaimer.
I too had one in a prior vehicle ( Heep ) and it saved my ass, it was modified as well.
Go ahead and run it, just be safe on the install, proper welds, back up all the attachment points, correct HDW.
And save for the MT:)

I would like to get the MT cage as well but need to save some cash.
I just got my hands on a NOS Smittybuilt cage kit, front hoop and 4 overhead bars, the PO bought 2 extras, these have never been installed, the tube is 120 wall, so it should be competent with the addition of a bar across the dash, one behind the seats, some additional gussets and grab handles.
There is a disclaimer on the instruction sheet " Smittybuilt tube bars are decorative accessories. They do not provide safety or rollover protection." To most of us this is a pretty obvious disclaimer.
I too had one in a prior vehicle ( Heep ) and it saved my ass, it was modified as well.
Go ahead and run it, just be safe on the install, proper welds, back up all the attachment points, correct HDW.
And save for the MT:)

OH and check out the MT web site, they have a similar disclaimer, its all about liability.:D

There is a disclaimer on the instruction sheet " Smittybuilt tube bars are decorative accessories. They do not provide safety or rollover protection."

p[erfect for cruisin the mall

anything gotta be better than the toyota crap, its like tinfoil

Well I bought it and I'm gonna run it untill I can get the Metal Tech cage I really want.

Thanks Scottsire for getting me one step closer to being on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom