Smittybilt X2O-12K GEN 2 WINCH 98512 " wireless remote " (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Any members here use or have used a Smittybilt X2O-12K GEN 2 WINCH 98512 " wireless remote " ?

I have been up in the air with what I want to buy and it really comes down to this

1. It might get used a few times a year, this year I got stuck twice buried in thick mud to the axles and any winch for the most part would have saved me.

2. I want a wireless remote

3. The cost difference between the Warn Zeon 12.5 Platinum and this Smittybilt 12000 are quite dramatic.

I really do like more quality parts but all said and done the Warn Zeon set-up is upwards of $3,000.00 and to just hang on the front of my LC and get used so little, I'm struggling with that.

I found the Smittybilt Smittybilt X2O-12K GEN 2 WINCH 98512 " wireless remote " for sale, $619.00 including shipping and no tax.

Thanks all

Smitty built.jpeg

I have it and really like it. Seems well built. Luckily haven't had to use it for myself but have pulled a few other cars out of ditches, pulled out some trees around the property, etc. No problems with the wireless remote yet and seems to work at a good distance. Comes with a backup cable just incase. It doesn't say WARN, but I don't care.

I have it and really like it. Seems well built. Luckily haven't had to use it for myself but have pulled a few other cars out of ditches, pulled out some trees around the property, etc. No problems with the wireless remote yet and seems to work at a good distance. Comes with a backup cable just incase. It doesn't say WARN, but I don't care.
Glad to get input from you and that you like it, I got buried twice this year deep in mud in the boondocks, wish i even had a come along LOL. it would have saved a lot of grief !

Buy 4WP extended warranty if you go through them. I had one on my Tacoma and when I parted everything out I sold the winch. The second owner had difficulty with it free spooling 3 years after I purchased it. Figured I’d try to help him out, called 4WP to see if they would do anything for me. They reminded me I had purchased their extended warranty and told me to drop it at the nearest store to check it out. They ended up calling me back an hour later said your winch is toast have a new one and by the way we don’t make the gen 2 or whatever of your winch anymore so we’re giving you the newer model. If I remember correct it was an XRC 9500, I think... All that being said I’d buy a smittybilt again, I’d definitely get an extended warranty though.

Hi all,

Any members here use or have used a Smittybilt X2O-12K GEN 2 WINCH 98512 " wireless remote " ?

I have been up in the air with what I want to buy and it really comes down to this

1. It might get used a few times a year, this year I got stuck twice buried in thick mud to the axles and any winch for the most part would have saved me.

2. I want a wireless remote

3. The cost difference between the Warn Zeon 12.5 Platinum and this Smittybilt 12000 are quite dramatic.

I really do like more quality parts but all said and done the Warn Zeon set-up is upwards of $3,000.00 and to just hang on the front of my LC and get used so little, I'm struggling with that.

I found the Smittybilt Smittybilt X2O-12K GEN 2 WINCH 98512 " wireless remote " for sale, $619.00 including shipping and no tax.

Thanks all

View attachment 2562154

I have it and use it enough to say it’s a tremendous value compared to the big names. My only complaint is that I had to use a cutoff wheel to remove the hook, so I could replace with a Factor 55 shackle.

I have it and use it enough to say it’s a tremendous value compared to the big names. My only complaint is that I had to use a cutoff wheel to remove the hook, so I could replace with a Factor 55 shackle.
LOL. I was just contemplating right now about how I was going to remove that hook. I already have a Factor 55 Ulta hook and fairlead.

Glad to hear this winch is of a good value

appreciate your input I ordered this winch about 20 minutes ago and paid $619.00 and that included shipping !!!!!!!!

I am in the Smittybilt camp as well.
I had one on my 100 series for 5 years and now a newer model of the 12k x2o on my Lx570 for a year - no complaints except removal of the cast hook to Factor 55 it.

I am in the Smittybilt camp as well.
I had one on my 100 series for 5 years and now a newer model of the 12k x2o on my Lx570 for a year - no complaints except removal of the cast hook to Factor 55 it.
Thank you for your input bud. The first thing i plan to do is get that nasty hook off and put the Factor 55 Ultrahook on it

Have you had any problems with the wireless remote ?

No, not at all. The newer one came with newer design remote than the one in the pic you provided and I like it better - not a huge difference but just an improvement over the old one.

A friend of mine had some issues with his remote and simply used the wired option, but he also is the type of individual generally bad with electronics and if anything is about to fail he will be the one to own it...LOL !

I took a few pics of the remote that came with mine:

20210123_100045.jpg

20210123_100059.jpg

20210123_100102.jpg

I loved mine. I have had the worst luck with warn winches for some reason. Have had smittybilt on multiple trucks. Never let me down once. As said above see if can buy through four wheel parts store and get the extended warranty it’s well worth it. You won’t be disappointed with it

I loved mine. I have had the worst luck with warn winches for some reason. Have had smittybilt on multiple trucks. Never let me down once. As said above see if can buy through four wheel parts store and get the extended warranty it’s well worth it. You won’t be disappointed with it
I have already bought it through different vendor

Smittybilt X20 comp 12k showed up at my step today, and several other things from Factor 55 and I secured a Trail Taylor winch mount today that hopefully will ship tomorrow. I hooked all the connections up this evening, very straight forward with forward thought on what angles the wires need to be directed for routing up to the battery. I also gave the connections and the entire winch a bath in Boeshield T-9, I will also bath the winch mount as well with it as I use it on my charter boat for several different things and it prevents corrosion and works amazingly well, a bit expensive but well worth it

I have the XRC 9.5 Gen 3 on the GX and I have been very pleased with it so far. Only two pulls on it to date and both times were for other people/vehicles. I like that the spool lights up so that I can see what the line is doing at night and the 12V electric power post is nice if you need to power something on a whim. The remote also has LED lights and magnets so that you can stick it to anything metal while messing with the recovery. Same pedigree as the H2O and as most owners know, it's a lot of bang for your buck in comparison to a Warn. I too changed out the hook in favor of a Factor55 option, I prefer the Flatlink E but I am considering the Ultrahook for the next build.

I have the XRC 9.5 Gen 3 on the GX and I have been very pleased with it so far. Only two pulls on it to date and both times were for other people/vehicles. I like that the spool lights up so that I can see what the line is doing at night and the 12V electric power post is nice if you need to power something on a whim. The remote also has LED lights and magnets so that you can stick it to anything metal while messing with the recovery. Same pedigree as the H2O and as most owners know, it's a lot of bang for your buck in comparison to a Warn. I too changed out the hook in favor of a Factor55 option, I prefer the Flatlink E but I am considering the Ultrahook for the next build.
I ended up buying the Ultra hook, it's pretty beefy LOL, I love the Warn winches but I got this Smittybilt X20 Comp 12K for $619.00 including shipping, it may get used once or twice per year, If I was a serious off roader I would go with Warn, I got stuck twice this year hunting and winch would have save a lot of grief

Smittybilt X20 comp 12k showed up at my step today, and several other things from Factor 55 and I secured a Trail Taylor winch mount today that hopefully will ship tomorrow. I hooked all the connections up this evening, very straight forward with forward thought on what angles the wires need to be directed for routing up to the battery. I also gave the connections and the entire winch a bath in Boeshield T-9, I will also bath the winch mount as well with it as I use it on my charter boat for several different things and it prevents corrosion and works amazingly well, a bit expensive but well worth it
Assuming you have the Trail Tailor hidden winch mount, is there enough room to cleanly mount a front number plate above the fairlead without extending above the bottom of the grille?

All the pics I've seen are of older LX or LC200 sans number plate, and the distance looks like it could make for a wonky fit.

Last edited:
Assuming you have the Trail Tailor hidden winch mount, is there enough room to cleanly mount a front number plate above the fairlead without exteding above the bottom of the grille?

All the pics I've seen are of older LX or LC200 sans number plate, and the distance looks like it could make for a wonky fit.
I have not crossed that bridge yet. I no another member had to move his up some, there is also a hinge like bracket I have seen that was nice. I will no more next week and keep you post.

Last edited:
Assuming you have the Trail Tailor hidden winch mount, is there enough room to cleanly mount a front number plate above the fairlead without extending above the bottom of the grille?

I did just find this if that helps

FE2B09C5-E70A-412D-8392-77E0BEA36434.png

This is what mine looks like:

20200730_145405.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom