1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smell burning oil

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by concretejungle, Feb 18, 2004.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I have a small leak in the rear main/ oil pan, haven't really gotten around to finding out which one it is. The head gasket is not leaking, and i'm good about wiping any excess oil up when changing the oil filter. When i have the heat/vent/air on with the fresh air button on instead of the re-circulate button on, i can smell burning oil. ??? Do you think it is coming from the oil pan/rear main leak? That just seems too far back and down for me to be smelling burning oil. And when i check the oil between oil changes it is not using hardly any.

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I get some odor after greasing the truck. Grease gets splattered on the exhaust and burns off.

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I smelled it too...... :eek: and then........... :'(

I suggest you carefully inspect the vehicle to be sure oil is not hemorrhaging from someplace like somebody I know had. :rolleyes:

D-

4. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I checked real carefully. That's when i found the rear main/ oil pain leak. But that's it. Maybe my exhaust bearings have gone bad?

5. hpantier

hpantier

When my exhause bearings went, they blew the outer race and flung their grease all over the place. It made a horrible smell and was quite time consuming to replace them. I hope yours aren't bad as it's an awful messy job to replace them. :)

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Look at the exhaust system to see if there is any evidence of oil or grease being tossed on it. It is possible that the rear engine oil leak is getting on the front drive shaft and being thrown on to the front exhaust pipe by the drive shaft.

If it's muffler bearings, you are hosed. ::)

7. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11719;start=msg106858#msg106858 date=1077127516]
    Look at the exhaust system to see if there is any evidence of oil or grease being tossed on it. It is possible that the rear engine oil leak is getting on the front drive shaft and being thrown on to the front exhaust pipe by the drive shaft.

If it's muffler bearings, you are hosed. ::)
    [/quote]
    Sheeeez Daniel not you too :rolleyes:

8. 92Cruiser

92Cruiser

Yeh, you never know what could be causing the problem. My turn signals did'nt work one day. Found out the truck was low on blinker fluid. :p

9. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=11719;start=msg106791#msg106791 date=1077119175]
    I get some odor after greasing the truck. Grease gets splattered on the exhaust and burns off.
    [/quote]

Rick,

Funny you mentioned this. It took me weeks to figure that out :slap:
    Had been checking the hubs and wheels for any overheat issue (dried bearings for instance) after any trips I took, long or short till I saw that blackish area on the muffler. :rolleyes:

Frank.

10. Rookie2

Rookie2

I've got the pan arch. leak (fingers crossed) that I hope to fix this weekend, but haven't noticed any burn't oil smell from it. Doesn't really seem to be much in that arear hot enough to burn oil. And it just collects at the bottom of the transmission housing, ...not much flingage. Seems like it's got to be on the motor or exhaust somewhere. Where's the air intake located for the heater??

R-two