smaller spare tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend im getting 285/75/16's on the 80.
But the spare tire is the stock size, Is this going to be a problem
if I have to use it? Even for short distance?

Thanks Mojo

Yes .. better to even get a used spare of the same size. But a lot of technical guys here will buy 5 new, and rotate the spare into the mix when the time arrives (the tires need rotation).

CAUTION ..

TY

Doing the 5th wheel rotation should theoretically give you 20% more mileage out of the set. Personally, I'd spend the buck and get at least a used spare in a case I had to use it like 300 miles from home.

But honestly, I don't think going for a short trip with the 31" spare is going to be too much of a problem. I haven't heard of any differential failures due to using a smaller spare.

Last edited:
T Y L E R said:
Yes .. better to even get a used spare of the same size. But a lot of technical guys here will buy 5 new, and rotate the spare into the mix when the time arrives (the tires need rotation).

CAUTION ..

TY

Wait till I tell my wife someone refferred to me as technical ;p

if you rotate yer tires you will also get the chance to excercise your spare tire carrier - of course that is unless you have a variation from the slung underneith in the gook spare location....

Yes, even 295/75-16 will fit in there. Any larger and one might have a hard time using the tow hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom