Smaller Alternative to Second Battery System to Power Frig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I am interested in having a frig in the back of my rig, but not that interested in installing a second battery (due to weight, cost and complication).

Is there a smaller, auxiliary battery option to install in the right rear quarter panel (for instance)? I'm imagining wiring a smaller battery which is 12V and which is recharged by the alternator, which cuts off at a set voltage (it seems the frig performs that cut off function, if I'm understanding how the frig's work). I don't need a second battery to start my truck, I'd rather use a battery pack starter, and my existing battery and wiring seems well able to power my winch.

I've searched around on Mud and online for a small auxiliary battery option to no avail. Maybe there's an obvious reason it doesn't make sense, please enlighten me on what you know.

Thanks.
Russ

In normal-warm weather, my group 34 AGM battery lasts a surprisingly short amount of time to power my ARB fridge (or frig). Unless you get a lithium battery ($$$), your capacity with a small battery in the back is going to be even worse. You're already talking about a 2 battery system, but you've just moved the battery to a smaller compartment in the back, which to me sounds like it has a lot of downsides over the well documented traditional setups...

You could put large, deep cycle battery in the back of the truck and charge it with a large solar panel on the roof. Minimal wiring and not connected to the truck in any way. Keeping that battery topped up will still be a problem.

Scratch that, I mis-understood your original question.

Generally battery size (volume) is directly related to amp-hours.... I don't know enough about lithium ion batteries, but they seem like they'd be a great choice, but I believe are expensive for something in the 100 amp-hour range.

I currently run a single group 31 battery in the stock location (requires slight modification to battery box), and run an ARB 50qt fridge off of it. I've never had any problems running the fridge overnight with this setup. (I have actually run it for multiple days without starting the engine, but not in very hot weather yet that I can remember).

Previously, I had a (whatever the stock size battery was), and ran the fridge for 5 weeks straight off of it, in ambient temperatures above 100 degrees. This did eventually kill the battery, but that battery was a few years old and not a deep cycle. I didn't have any problems starting the next morning until the battery died.

I had originally been planning to install a dual battery setup (even bought the PS battery box), but have since decided against it. For me, it's complicated, too heavy (I've become increasingly weight conscious), and really not necessary for what I want do. If I want to run the fridge for longer without starting the engine, solar seems like a good option. I do plan to get one of those lithium jump start boxes, as it seems like a nice insurance policy that you'll be able to start your engine in the morning if traveling alone. (though it does sound like quality on some of those units can be hit or miss)

I currently run a single group 31 battery in the stock location (requires slight modification to battery box), and run an ARB 50qt fridge off of it. I've never had any problems running the fridge overnight with this setup. (I have actually run it for multiple days without starting the engine, but not in very hot weather yet that I can remember).

Previously, I had a (whatever the stock size battery was), and ran the fridge for 5 weeks straight off of it, in ambient temperatures above 100 degrees. This did eventually kill the battery, but that battery was a few years old and not a deep cycle. I didn't have any problems starting the next morning until the battery died.

I had originally been planning to install a dual battery setup (even bought the PS battery box), but have since decided against it. For me, it's complicated, too heavy (I've become increasingly weight conscious), and really not necessary for what I want do. If I want to run the fridge for longer without starting the engine, solar seems like a good option. I do plan to get one of those lithium jump start boxes, as it seems like a nice insurance policy that you'll be able to start your engine in the morning if traveling alone. (though it does sound like quality on some of those units can be hit or miss)

Same - Cheapest and smallest is just to run one battery not dual. The largest and best deep cycle you can afford. I have ran a fridge for the past 5 years off of one battery. I have the Sears Platinum 31M. They do not make it anymore but I believe Odyssey 31M would be the available equivalent. It will run you around $450.

That said, I also installed a dual battery setup, but have NEVER had to default to it. All my ACCs run off of the main battery and the second is solely a backup. If I was back 5 years I would have never installed the system.

If anything a small jump box or portable solar is what I would suggest.

Think about it, how many times do you plan on staying put at camp for weeks on end??? I never have. Even when camping for days I am wheeling and exploring during the day so the battery is always topped up.

Longest I let it run as a test was 5 days I think, set to 36°F and it still started right up. Big key is to have a good battery tender hooked up when you do not drive the truck daily. It will keep the battery nice and healthy.

IMG_1415.jpg

Last edited:
Search for "portable power station" and you'll come up with a bunch of the battery-powered devices that can give you a variety of DC and USB outputs plus 110V, You need a higher capacity one and look for lithium ion batteries if size is important ad they are typically the smallest.

Like anything else, it depends on your intended use.

I have a single Interstate MTZ-34R (was an Odyssey PC1500 before I killed it with my own stupidity) and run an ARB fridge when I'm on the road. I don't keep it in the truck all the time, but when I go wheeling, or on a road trip, it's always in the back.
I've never had any issues over the last 8 years or so, running a winch and some other doo-dads.
My truck is also a daily driver, so it doesn't sit still for long.

Run a large group 31 battery like the Odessey PC2150 which has 205aH capacity. Use LCP's battery mount to tie it down. Have run an ARB Elements fridge for 2 days without starting on this setup.

I used a lfe battery in the right quarter panel. 30ah sounds small but it's perfect if you're moving every day or have solar. Charges directly off the alternator but you'll want a lfe specific battery connection manager. Probably a thermostat too to prevent it from charging < freezing which they don't like. Fits great in the wits end qpm.

I personally don't think a dual battery setup has to be complicated or expensive. Mine is a simple Off-Left-Right-Both switch. A battery box, a switch, some cable. Done. I feel the (small) extra cost is totally outweighed by the extra functionality.

I personally don't think a dual battery setup has to be complicated or expensive. Mine is a simple Off-Left-Right-Both switch. A battery box, a switch, some cable. Done. I feel the (small) extra cost is totally outweighed by the extra functionality.

I agree. They can be very simple with a minimal amount of connections and wiring.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I appreciate it. For me, the cost combined with the weight is really the issue on going dual battery. I think I'll try LC Phil's suggestion first (cheapest, most simple) and see how that works.
Cheers!

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I appreciate it. For me, the cost combined with the weight is really the issue on going dual battery. I think I'll try LC Phil's suggestion first (cheapest, most simple) and see how that works.
Cheers!

Some additional info: Freezer temps will kill it faster, keeping it full will help regulate power usage better, park in the shade if you can and ventilate, freeze what you are able to and stock it that way. (I have no need for the freeze water or food first but If needed it will help.) Oh, and for what ever reason you find yourself next to 120v, just plug it in.

Last edited:
Cheers!
I personally don't think that is the cheapest / best solution. That battery is a deep cycle, not a starting battery so only has 650 CCA, which is probably less than your current battery. Plus, you are ditching your current battery, which means that for the $125, you only get the incremental addition of a group 31 over the group 27. You would have more power, more reserve by adding a second battery. I'm guessing that for a little more money you could buy a box, a second battery, and the switch. As for the weight, it is negligible. JMHO.

My deep cycle cranks like nothing is there. Just need a good one.

Odyssey 31M:

• 1150 CCA, 1370 MCA, 1150 HCA
  • 2150 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
  • 100Ah
  • 205 Minute Reserve Capacity
  • Cycle life @ 77° F 400 at 100% DOD
  • -40° F to 140° F Temperature Range
  • Made in the USA

It comes down to preference on one battery or two. One will do just fine. Last time I had a flat tire was 10 years ago but I spent $600 to have a spare so....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom