1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Welding Bottle

Discussion in 'Tools and Fabrication' started by 73fj55, Mar 4, 2007.

1. 73fj55

73fj55

Looking for a small welding bottle to do some MIG welding. Made the horrible mistake of getting a flux core, need to redeem myself.....any leads are appreciated.

2. JJS

JJS

Flux core blows. Do you have a local welding supply? You should be able to get something down there reasonably, and not have to deal with shipping hazardous materials. Do you have one of those flux/gas combo 110v welders?

3. 73fj55

73fj55

The one flux core that I bought was just flux core. I am taking it back to get one that can run both.

I called a local place and they quoted me at $165 for a new bottle.....YIKES

4. nmbuckaroo

nmbuckaroo

for my mig i use argon gas. i lease the large bottle for $26 per year. cost $39 to refill. they also do a monthly rental but it is $6 per month. i also got a cutting torch set up. f size acetylene $20 to fill. oxygen is always $6 no matter what size cylinder you fill.

5. oldIron

oldIron

I had to buy my bottles. Both the oxygen and acetelene and my argon tank for the mig. Against the law for me to rent as I am not a company...at least here in NH. Luckily I know the guy who owns the local shop who cut me a great deal. (actually it may be a liability thing and not actually illegal.)

6. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

You can sometime find used cylinders on Craig's list, but you'll probably just have to pony up and buy one. I think mine was $150 or so with the first fill free. Subsequent fills are $45 but they just give you another tank already filled, and they take care of all the hydro testing.

A bottle of gas lasts a suprisingly long time. I have my SOA nearly complete and still have at least half of my first bottle.

7. 73fj55

73fj55

Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to call a few places tomorrow and see if I can't rent one for the time being. In the meantime I will try to find one used..

thanks again

8. 2badfjs

2badfjs

guess you girls need to learn how to weld with flux.

whats the problem?

9. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Another option is to go w/co2.
    The bottles are cheep and so is the co2..

10. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    73FJ55, where are you located? I may have a small CO2 bottle you can have, no papers. Free, but the shipping might kill you.
    I'm in Kansas City.

Ed

11. JJS

JJS

I use flux all the time. It does the job, but I can lay down a cleaner weld with a stick. Something just doesn't add up there for me.

12. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:

I just gave my welding supplier a deposit on the bottle...then just pay for gas when needed on an instant exchange program: No waiting...and the cheapest route.

13. 73fj55

73fj55

I went out to a welding supply company and they let me rent a bottle for a month. NOT A huge bottle mind you but a good size. All in all $32. Can't complain.

Thanks for the advice.

14. 2badfjs

2badfjs

i'm just messin with ya bro, it's like me, i never got use to using gas when i started welding :confused:

15. bkfj40

bkfj40 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    if you have a tractor supply near you, you can pick up a bottle and then exchange it as needed. It's a plus for me, because they are open on Sundays...most of the time I ran out of gas was on the weekends....

bk

16. kruzinboots

kruzinboots

Tractor Supply is where I got mine from.

17. hydrogeo

hydrogeo

I got a 60 cu ft bottle for my 140 Handler from a local welding place for like $160 with gas. Like someone else said, they just swap bottles when empty and no need to worry about hydro. The guy told me that it does not matter what gas I want to use. I.e if I want to switch from co2/argon to straight co2 or to oxygen for the torch, they would just swap bottles and the only cost difference would be the price of the different gases. Also, the guy told me to be on the lookout for older co2 cylinders for soda systems. He said that they would exchange these bottles the same way and sometimes you can pick them up really cheap, and it doesn't matter if they have recently been hydro'd.

18. Velocity2

Velocity2

I always just swap my tanks if I think im getting low before the weekend so I dont have to worry about it.

Here in Ohio my local supplier is good to me 100 bucks for a three year tank lease and 20 dollar fill-ups each time after that.

The O/A tanks i got for a set for $160 for three year lease.
    I cant complain..... I may buy some down the road, but right now thats hard to beat!

19. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

1. If you want to weld anything but tin foil with a 110V mig don't use pure Argon. Weld will be way too cold. Use a mix or C02..

B. Get a can of Anti splatter for the flux core stuff. works wonders..

20. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Anti-slpatter, never used it, I asume you spray it on the material you're welding?