Small rant. It finally happened (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:mad: It figures. After way to much time, money, and effort the @#%$# head gasket blows. It happens when the wife drives it to Denver to pick up a friend (about 6 hr drive one way) So needless to say it's currently sitting in D.I.A. and it's D.O.A. No sign it was going. Went out 2 weekends ago on a nice hot day and put about 250mi on it driving up into the Book Cliffs to see the wild horses. Ran absolutely great. Now I get to find a trailer and drive over to Denver to drag the p.o.s. home. I guess it's time to get the wife a vehicle she can trust, cause she sure doesn't want anything to do with the LC anymore.:bang:

Here is the good news amongst the frustration. Once properly fixed with the "improved" HG, these rigs go on for many many more miles. Those who have had further issues with the HG are likely due to an improper replacement or problems with the head itself.

There are a few folks on here who do not believe in the preventative PM of replacing the HG. My view is that if you made it to 200k, why not prevent being stranded by fixing the gasket? Having seen three different motors in the sub-200 category without obvious problems have the PM done, all had the telltale signs at cylinder #6.

:cheers:

Steve

Sorry to hear it happened. Hopefully you're back on the road soon. Not to muddy the water but this is exactly the reason I tell folks the HG is a PM, not because it's a wear item but its much easier to do on your schedule than to be inconvenienced with a 12+ hour trip to go pick it up. Good luck with the repair! One good thing is you will have intimate knowledge of the condition of the rest of your motor when you are done.

Really ticks me off at only 114k miles. Wife stopped at an O'reillys and put a code scanner on it. It indicated good old #6 cylinder. Now to use the 1995 1 ton gas hog 1 ton to go drag it back. It has 200k mi and has never had the valve covers off. Uses less than qt of oil between 3k changes. Oh well a few more Jack & cokes and it won't mean nothing.

Half k,

Machining the head is really more of a function of how hot it has gotten in it's life, and if it has warped at all, and usually the high machine costs aren't just milling the head, it is doing the valve seats, the valves, seals, etc. Just planing the head would be cheap.

Half k,

Machining the head is really more of a function of how hot it has gotten in it's life, and if it has warped at all, and usually the high machine costs aren't just milling the head, it is doing the valve seats, the valves, seals, etc. Just planing the head would be cheap.

So if you didn't overheat it real bad from having an HG failure, you will probably be fine. Just have it checked for straightness ?

That is what I would do, but depending on mileage, doing the valves while the head is off is a good idea, in my opinion. If the valve seats are worn you will see a loss of combustion pressure. For this motor since it only has 114k miles I would have the head pulled, inspect the valves and valve seats, check for straight and reinstall.

Dude, take a deep breath and chill. No car is completely reliable. Get it fixed, it'll be as reliable as anything else you'll find.

I would also suggest giving the cooling system a thorough check up. A HG at 114k would suggest that it overheated. If your fan clutch has never been touched, it's likely weak. Your radiator could also be clogged.

Last edited:
OLD DAWG said:
Really ticks me off at only 114k miles. Wife stopped at an O'reillys and put a code scanner on it. It indicated good old #6 cylinder. Now to use the 1995 1 ton gas hog 1 ton to go drag it back. It has 200k mi and has never had the valve covers off. Uses less than qt of oil between 3k changes. Oh well a few more Jack & cokes and it won't mean nothing.

So............. Was there an overheating issue before your wife took it to O'reilys??????

New radiator 2 years ago with complete replacement of all hoses, thermostat, PHH. No overheating issues scan gauge never went above 200 when checked full hot under load. From what she tells me her and the kids noticed it idling funny when they got to Denver and stopped at a motel. That's when she noticed the temp gauge going up and shut it off. She called me and I told her to let it cool off the check the radiator which she did as well as looking under it for leaks(none). She asked and they told her there was an O'reilly's down the street about 2 blocks. Next morning she put some water in it and went there. Temp was good CEL was on. She put 1.5 gal antifreeze in and they scanned it and it came up P0306 the parts guy said he didn't know what that meant. She called me and said it was also starting to put white smoke out the exhaust. Told her she'd blown a head gasket and wouldn't make it back with it. Long story short. I'm heading to Denver to trailer it back and she wants me to part it out. This is the second time it's stranded her and she has lost all trust in it. I'd rather change the gasket and trade it in. I think it would be a lot less of a pain for me. Oh well, time will tell. If I do the HG I plan on having a friend check the head out to make sure it's good. I just don't feel right selling/trading a vehicle with a known major problem.

That is sad. I feel for you. The princess not trusting your 80 is a really tough one to get past. Emotion rules in this case. I can suggest fixing it and then selling it, maybe get a 100 so the princess will be happy.

A happy wife, is a happy life. Fix HG, so it won't have issue when you trade it and get a 100 series.

Ah, bummer. I will say I agree with the sentiment that once the HG is changed, you will then have a hard time wearing that truck out. Mine went around at 170 if I recall correctly. Now it's at 235k and I think nothing of hooking a 3 ton boat up and towing it to a remote mountain lake in another country. I doubt your engine will need anything but a new gasket slapped down, drop the head back on it and you're done.

The comments about the cooling system are worth considering. Check to see if your fan clutch hub is a blue one or a black one. You don't mention your year, but the black ones are going to be suspect by now.

Your wife and kiddos are to be complimented on noticing the issue, by the way. Some of our spouses would have ridden the horse until it fell down...

my wifes former 97 80 went at about 180k, the 93 I drive just went at 273k miles, I have it apart now..

80's run hot stock especially the 96-97's they seem to run leaner,

the headgasket design is so that it blows the headgasket when hot before it damages anything in the rest of the motor. willing to bet it was weak from when the radiator went and just gave up the ghost. Don't give up on it just yet 80's are a great rig and last a long time, a little PM and they will last longer than just about anything except a fj40..

Some of our spouses would have ridden the horse until it fell down...

My Mom did this to a Cadillac when I was a kid. My Dad never forgave her.

Sorry dude!

I've had my truck since 97 and I'm on my 3rd motor. First motor was replaced by Toyota at 61k. Now at about 300k the HG went again. Unfortunately I am the one in a million that blew a new style head gasket. s*** happens but I will be buried in my truck. My wife drove the 60 bucking and kicking until it just stopped. destroyed a rod and piston. She waited til it was good and dead. But you pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and you get back on that horse.

Robbie’s aka “PowderPig on Mud” lives in Boulder. Call AAA have it towed to where he can work on it. Fly or drive back to get it in perfect working order. Drive home happy and know it was fixed by the best.

Okay fellas. Sorry for the rookie question to this thread, but I need to know. So.......the one and only reason for head gasket failure is due to overheating????? Si o no??????
And if I were to PM the head gasket does that ensure me a solid truck or is there a possibility of failure again????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom