Small propane bottles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For various reasons, I decided not to install the trick horizontal propane tank I'd gotten for my trailer under the tub. After selling it for the same amount I bought it (whew, dodged a bullet there...), I'm back to square one. I've pretty much decided on carrying propane bottles instead, but I can't seem to find a good variety of small bottles (specifically, I'm looking for 5lb bottles that taper down at the bottom like regular propane bottles *see left on the attached picture*, the only ones I can find locally go straight down to a lip on the bottom, and those don't work for my mounting method). Can anyone point me in the right direction? If I can find the right size, I might carry two of them, for now I'm looking to carry only one.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Flames?
10dot.jpg

Last edited:
buy it from the place that had the photo? :D

Thank you for the suggestion! ;)

They're the manufacturer, but they don't sell directly to the public, and their website doesn't have a list of retailers.

I wish I can find the oval bottle pictured here in the US. It is in the UK and shipping would be $$$.

Where did you find the bottle you were going to install under the tub?
S.

The tank I was going to use is this, an OEM replacement for the VW Westfalia camper vans that is manufactured in the US by Manchester Tanks. I've seen this used on an M416 trailer before, the fit between the frame rails is perfect. But after having conversations with fellow trailer enthusiasts, I decided not to do this, for three main reasons:

1. A couple of guys running this setup have encountered issues when trying to get the tank refilled. Technically, you shouldn't have, but in reality, liability concerns could be a problem.

2. It ties your cooking to the trailer, at least, as long as your hose is. One of my best friends just spent a couple of months in Baja testing out his new expedition trailer and he was happy to be able to cook under a palapa or right on the beach further away from the trailer.

3. These tanks are *expensive*, even when scored used like mine. They are only DOT approved for a certain time, then they have to be replaced. There's no way I was going to go through this again...

So, I'm going to mount one or two of these 5 lbs. tanks; I've got a couple of locations on the trailer that would work, I just need to figure out the design for a locking mechanism and then we're good to go.

Thanks for the first link, Chad, the second is where I found the picture, but they don't sell to the general public.
Propane_Tank_A.jpg

i've bought my tanks at my local propane shop.

try RV World or similar

also Cenex?

or maybe Hank knows.........he is from your next of the woods :D

we got our 5# bottle at home depot. Very satisfied.

Except that for some reason after I loaned it to my buddy, who SWEARS he did nothing... well... now it doesn't open. Odd.

oops. I guess maybe we have a 10# bottle. Same height and footprint as the standard 20#, but much skinnier.

check McMaster Carr, Henry. They've got a few bottles there that might work.

Sportsmans Warehouse has them for $34-$39.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom