Small leakage at the rear diff yok (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I notice a small oil leakage at oil retainer of the rear differential (where it connects to the driveshaft) - picture included.
Recently I got the oil change in the diffs - can it be connected? something that wasn't tighten correctly?

Its a 2008, LC200.
IMG-20220616-WA0009.jpg

Any leak from there is most likely the seal on the front of diff. I would do what you have done so far clean it off and check it every 1 to 4 weeks and see if it returns and how much. This is youtube link to video on replacing the front seal for most Toyota diffs.

Breather should look like this youtube video

Breather on the 200 isn't attached to the axle housing like the taco. It is attached via a breather hose that locates it up higher on the frame.

Also, make sure the the rear diff isn't over filled. Park on level ground and remove the upper fill port. If fluid starts coming out of the fill port, it is over filled.

Last edited:
Definitely check the level, as @turbo8 says over filled can cause it to leak. Plus yes the breathers.

In my mini truck days I replaced a bad diff seal without pulling the whole pinion and changing the crush sleeve by simply loosening the nut, remove the flange, change the seal, then tightening it back to the exact spot it was in before. This is pretty easy with the indent/stake toyota sets to keep the nut from backing off. If you do this make sure you put the flange back in the exact orientation it was in (same splines, don't rotate it from the original position) just to try and ensure the same nut position means the same clamping force and therefore preload. It should all be parallel and not matter, but just in case..

Also, check for play in the pinion shaft. The bearings losing preload can let the shaft wobble around and that will definitely cause a leak. No idea why this would pop up just after a change, but good idea to check.

Definitely check the level, as @turbo8 says over filled can cause it to leak. Plus yes the breathers.

In my mini truck days I replaced a bad diff seal without pulling the whole pinion and changing the crush sleeve by simply loosening the nut, remove the flange, change the seal, then tightening it back to the exact spot it was in before. This is pretty easy with the indent/stake toyota sets to keep the nut from backing off. If you do this make sure you put the flange back in the exact orientation it was in (same splines, don't rotate it from the original position) just to try and ensure the same nut position means the same clamping force and therefore preload. It should all be parallel and not matter, but just in case..

Also, check for play in the pinion shaft. The bearings losing preload can let the shaft wobble around and that will definitely cause a leak. No idea why this would pop up just after a change, but good idea to check.
updates on the rear diff leakage:
it stopped. I checked the level of the diff oil and its full.
no play in the shaft at all.
very strange.
any thoughts?

updates on the rear diff leakage:
it stopped. I checked the level of the diff oil and its full.
no play in the shaft at all.
very strange.
any thoughts?
I’d just keep an eye on it for future leaks or noises.

My guess is a foreign object in the seal to metal interface caused a temporary weep. It is likely gone now, so the seal is working as designed. Just a guess though...

update:
Seal replaced. no leakage.
Must say it was done on time. My 200 is 2008 and it was the original seal.
It started spraying oil on the real spring pax side....

update:
Seal replaced. no leakage.
Must say it was done on time. My 200 is 2008 and it was the original seal.
It started spraying oil on the real spring pax side....
My 2008 has the same problem that he is always a little bit wet on that spot. All together I changed the oil after around 10 years and it was nearly the exact amount of oil comming out that needs to be in there….
Once I was driving around in south Algeria near to the border of Mali when it started to leak a bit more. I put some grease into the diff and everything is fine since then….
If there is enough oil inside I wouldn’t think too much about it

Guys, I think I got the same(?) leak?

This was the report:
"Power Transmission/Drive Train:
REPLACE 4#4 REAR FLANGE OIL SEAL"

What do you guys think? LC 2014

4#4 REAR FLANGE OIL SEAL.jpg

"

That photo doesn't look like a leaky seal, it looks like someone wiped an oil soaked finger across the housing.

That photo doesn't look like a leaky seal, it looks like someone wiped an oil soaked finger across the housing.
Its not dropping/oil levels are okay they said, but the surface is oily every few months when we check even after cleaning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom