Small Cavity on rear drivers side lower 2F engine block. Is this normal? What to do?? HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Fj lovers of the world!

Im writing in a bit of a panic because after months of my labor on rebuilding my 2F engine, yesterday after taking it off of the engine stand. I found a cavity on the engine block right next to the crankshaft rear main seal on the drivers side, the picture below can better explain my dilema.

hole in block.jpg

I was preparing all the components to assemble the clutch Assy and was amazed to find this cavity, after taking a breather, I realized the shop Im doing this work in is also rebuilding another 2F engine, after inspecting it I found it had a similar hole but much smaller than mine. (picture below)

franz 2f.jpg

So well, now that youve seen what Im facing... please let me know what do you think? Is this something to loose sleep over??

Thanks everyone!!

Is there a bolt hole below that? Looks to me like a drilled hole that didnt need to go all the way through during original manufacturing, and that is just the drillpoint poking through the other end of the casting. I wouldn't be worried at all.

I believe that is nothing to be concerned about - it is a normal manufacturing hole/void.

JB weld it if it bothers you and call it done.;)

Is there a bolt hole below that? Looks to me like a drilled hole that didnt need to go all the way through during original manufacturing, and that is just the drillpoint poking through the other end of the casting. I wouldn't be worried at all.
Yes there is, it is exactly oposit to one of the four bolts that hold the crankshaft main bearing.

Today I'll take the bolt of to see if it goes thru. Thanks for letting me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom