Small cap electronic dizzy questions (long) sorry! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,

I recently bought an electronic distributor set up used, I am preparing to install it on my 69FJ55 F engine. I think I have all the parts, but would appreciate any tips or pitfalls to avoid.

Mainly I do not have a wiring diagrahm to make the change over, I want to be sure I hook it up right, (original dizzy has not been OEM since I bought my Pig from PO in 1990).

I had to take out the GM dist (yeech) and homemade adapter ring, then found an oem dist w/vac advance, from SOR. I did some cleaning and lubing, put in new points cond rotor cap plugs & wires, got it in ok and have been driving it for a while now on week ends and etc.( has been sitting alot over the years off and on) I also have a new Weber 38MM carb with electric fuel pump. I am having fuel economy issues since, think still need carb tuning and proper dizzy adjust/timing.

I recently had a couple of things happen, while out cruizing.

1. Gently rolled over a large boulder, ended up smashing my steering stabilizer, and bending my tie rod. :whoops: Dumb... I now know, school of hard knocks lesson. Got new parts but not installed yet.

2. Last week, had a problem going up an inclined dirt road, not too steep, but my engine cut out and would not restart for a while, finally got it pointed down hill and got it to start and run, took me home. Have a 50 gallon tank, it had about 13 gals of gas, first time this ever happened. (I think I will need to relocate the pump nearer the tank.) Will also listen to other suggestions.

Have noticed that no liquid fuel ever seems to have made it to the lower stock position fuel filter, but this has not been a problem till now.

3. Went thru some mud for the fun of it, and got mydizzy wet inside, cleaned it out with some WD40 (all I had) dried it with a rag, & she started and ran home fine. (water proofing questios in my mind now)

Now the main questions:

1.Does anyone have a wiring diagrahm for a 6-69FJ55?

Also I need a wiring diagrahm for a cruiser that originally came with the small cap electronic distributor. (This way I can understand how Toyota intended it to be connected, so I can figure out a reasonable conversion diagrahm.

2.( A) Does my new/used ele dizzy have water protection and (B) what does the vent look like, (C) does it connect to anything?

3. What kinds of charactoristic problems does this newer dizzy have, how can I prevent them?

I would appreciate any help on these questions. I have read both articles by Jim C on Distributors but these things were not mentioned.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly FJ55

69FJ55
Schumach Front FJ60 & Rear TSM Eldorado DBC
ARI Power Booster, Liquid Offroad MC
Home Fabricated Firewall Spacer
Mini 4x4 & Sag Power Steering Conversion-Iron Pig Bkt
Weber 38MM TPI
OME Shocks all round
Toyota Electronic Dizzy- coming soon
Aussie Locker- Dream stage

Here is a schematic for an '81. It may be a large cap by then, but the wiring should be pretty much the same. You may or may not have the ballast resistor depending on the year and origin of the coil.

http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/Photos/fj40scheme3.jpg

There is a schematic for a '72 FJ40, which would be pretty similar to your 69 FJ55 for the purposes of the ignition. Notice that the wire color code is the same for the different years and models.

Pin_Head said:
Here is a schematic for an '81. It may be a large cap by then, but the wiring should be pretty much the same. You may or may not have the ballast resistor depending on the year and origin of the coil.

http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/Photos/fj40scheme3.jpg

There is a schematic for a '72 FJ40, which would be pretty similar to your 69 FJ55 for the purposes of the ignition. Notice that the wire color code is the same for the different years and models.
Thanks Pin Head for your reply, this thank you post is very late, I just saw your post, I appreciate your help, having motor rebuild worries right now, but your diagram will be useful when I get there.

Kelly FJ55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom