Small block install.... parts that work together well? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a 1971 FJ40 with 327. It has the Downey mount kit that needs to go b/c it bolts to the front of the block and leaves no room for p/s pump brackets. I want to use the firestein motor mounts that i have read so much about in these threads. Still waiting for a reply on those.

So now that I have given you the back ground of my situation let me ask this. WILL RAMS HORN MANIFOLDS, MINI TRUCK POWER STEERING AND FIRESTEIN MOUTOR MOUNTS WORK TOGETHER ?

I want find someone that can supply info and pics.

Thanks

When you change the mounts, you will have to move your motor/trans/transfer forward about an inch or two. (At least I am having to) This may also affect your drive shafts. I do think the ramhorns will be fine, not sure about the mini ps.

Shawn

Depending on the engine location, front to rear, the rams horn may hit the powersteering box. With the driverside manifold on, fit the engine with the manifold in front of the steering box. This moves the engine pretty far forward of the downey location, so the rear mount has to be changed also. Also puts your fan up close to the radiator. A better solution is to use blockhuggers and slide the engine toward the passanger side. You can't use over the frame headers because the #5 exhaust tube passes directly over the PS return line. ONly 1/2 inch clearance so you can't get the fitting in the hole. Another option is to use a factory under the plug manifold that exits out the rear. IT's problem is the exhaust pipe next to the clutch slave heats the fluid and your clutch does some funny things when depressed. A heat shield does help.

Plowboy said:
Depending on the engine location, front to rear, the rams horn may hit the powersteering box. With the driverside manifold on, fit the engine with the manifold in front of the steering box. This moves the engine pretty far forward of the downey location, so the rear mount has to be changed also. Also puts your fan up close to the radiator. A better solution is to use blockhuggers and slide the engine toward the passanger side. You can't use over the frame headers because the #5 exhaust tube passes directly over the PS return line. ONly 1/2 inch clearance so you can't get the fitting in the hole. Another option is to use a factory under the plug manifold that exits out the rear. IT's problem is the exhaust pipe next to the clutch slave heats the fluid and your clutch does some funny things when depressed. A heat shield does help.

This is real helpful. Thanks! You guys are using a similar set-up? (Firestine mounts/Mini truck P/s?)

If so any pictures?:bounce:

I have the mounts but not the ps. I am still in the middle of getting the engine placement right.

With these mounts, you can not shift the motor to one side or the other, it will be centered.

Shawn

True about the firestone mounts, they center the engine. The orginal Downey mounts set the engine to the driverside to line the driveshafts. The AA mounts can be adjusted since they are sort of generic. I have the AA mounts

Shawn Russell said:
I have the mounts but not the ps. I am still in the middle of getting the engine placement right.

With these mounts, you can not shift the motor to one side or the other, it will be centered.

Shawn

How did you guys find the mounts. I sent an email to Bob Firestine he replied with the name of another guy to contact . I e-mailed the next guy and he has taken a long time to get back to me.

So how did you guys purchase yours.

I just did the exact parts change you are doing. I have a 73 and was using the old downey front saddle mount. I replaced that mount with Bob Firestine's mounts. They are great and easy to use. The Firestine mounts center the engine. When I checked my original engine location with the saddle mount, it was within a 1/8 inch of being centered. That was measuring off the frame to the same point on each side of the engine block. The Firestine mounts also lower the engine in relation to the old saddle mount. A couple of inchs I think. The only real change that I had to do was with the stock rad. With the engine being lower the flex fan was hitting the lower rad hose. I had the option of either switching out the long pump with a short one or changing out the fan. What I did was move the rad further towards the front by redrilling the rad U channel mounting holes. I was able to move it about an inch or so. I than purchased a Volvo electric fan and mounted it to the radiator. It is thinner than the Taurus and is a single speed, but pulls a lot of air. I hooked it up to a temp sensor thru a couple of relays. I am using the rear dump exhaust manifolds, but am planning on changing them to center dumps. I don't see any clearance problems with the center dumps. I just installed the saginaw steering and it clears everything. I didn't have to change driveshaft lengths or the rear mounts either.

Last edited:
I bought my mounts from Bob, but it is a friend of his that makes them. I had to wait a while for them. Then when I got them, I had found that I had 2 lefts instead of a right and left. I had to ship it back to Bob and wait for the right piece. Bob was great about the whole thing, but it kinda soured him on being the middleman. I don't know anything about the guy that makes them, except that he builds great engine mounts. I do think he does it in his spare time and thus the reason for the delay.

llih said:
I bought my mounts from Bob, but it is a friend of his that makes them. I had to wait a while for them. Then when I got them, I had found that I had 2 lefts instead of a right and left. I had to ship it back to Bob and wait for the right piece. Bob was great about the whole thing, but it kinda soured him on being the middleman. I don't know anything about the guy that makes them, except that he builds great engine mounts. I do think he does it in his spare time and thus the reason for the delay.

Thanks for the info!
I guess good things come to those who wait...

Sounds like you have different power steering than I do.

Is your trans mission an automatic?

I heard some guys talk about dificulty with drive shaft angles because these mounts center the engine. What do you think?

Here is what I can offer...
I have a 327, stock SBC exhaust, AA type engine mounts, Downey steering shaft kit, AGR power steering.
The first is the issue with the rear dump mani. on the driver side, Close to the Slave cyl.
Second is just the top view of the steering shaft, engine mount, exhaust.
Third is the Pass. side engine mount, exhaust...The like.
If you need any others I will see what I can do.
Good luck:cheers:

Last edited:
I have the 3 speed. The angles aren't perfect, but I haven't had a problem. The saddle mount I had, seemed to have placed the engine very close to center to begin with. It was only about 1/8 inch off center when I measured it and I measured it several times just to be sure. This cruiser I have had for almost 31 years. I am going to use it as a DD as it gets better millage than the burb. I am in the middle of trying to get it ready to paint.

Where you at in Colorado? I have an aunt and cousins all over the state. My Dad's family was from Colorado Springs.

FJOE said:
How did you guys find the mounts. I sent an email to Bob Firestine he replied with the name of another guy to contact . I e-mailed the next guy and he has taken a long time to get back to me.

So how did you guys purchase yours.
last i heard, the guy that made them for bob got a different job making more money and wasn't really interested in making more. let us know if he expresses any interest to you. i'd love to have a set for my piggie.

Thats too bad about the mounts. I read sometime ago that he had a patent on them ? Maybe someone could get a hold of the guy and work out a license deal to make them? I believe they could be made to offset the engine and have more height adjustment.

adjustment side to side is what the pig folks need;. i'm not the only one interested on the pig side and our frames are a tad wider than the 40 series.

llih said:
Thats too bad about the mounts. I read sometime ago that he had a patent on them ? Maybe someone could get a hold of the guy and work out a license deal to make them? I believe they could be made to offset the engine and have more height adjustment.

Well I guess I'll have to go with AA mounts or Trans dapt. I still haven't heard from the mystery mount man.:confused:

any luck of these mounts yet? I'd really like a set.. had to ask.

Check out or do a search on pirate for Firestine mounts. There was some tallk over there a few months back about possibly someone else building them. I have crs and didn't save the links. I already had mine, but remember there was a lot of interest about someone else producing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom