sm465 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new tranny in my 67 fj40. A guy down here is selling a sm465 out of a 79 1 ton for $75

My question is what issues if any would i run into trying to use this? I believe I would need an adapter, but anything else?

I'm runnin 37s, SOA. Stock engine. Any help would be appreciated. I did search but have little time to go in depth, I'm working out of state and am juswondering if I should get my brother to pick this tranny up for me or not while its for sale.

Last edited:
Is it out of a 4X4 ? You don't want the 2wd version. I like the 465 in my 40 but it sees very little street use anymore. If I were useing it as a DD I would really want a Toyota 4 speed.

Is it a 2wd or 4wd trans?

The 2wd will require a main shaft change in the trans to make it work.

Treeroot did a great write up in the tech pages on an Orion install behind his 465, which, would be very similar to what you are going to try and do. It would be worth the time to read through it. It should answer any questions that you have about this swap.

Good luck!

-Steve

Oh-

You will need to increase the pilot hole diameter in the flywheel housing for the 465 to fit the Toyota 3 speed flywheel housing too. Not that big of a deal. The front bearing retainer on the 465 is about a 1/2 larger in diameter than the Toyota three speed tranny. The bolt pattern is the same however.

Good luck!

-Steve

The other option is to turn the front bearing retainer down and use caphead bolts. Also have to cut up your tranny tunnle cover, and make a braket for the T-case shifter. Still a fairly painless swap.

Thanks guys,

when I get the time I'll read up on that. Appreciate the link

I replied to the guys ad about more details about it. I dont know for sure if its 2wd or 4wd. I'll check on that.

MX - I am looking to sell my SM465. It's out of a 4X4 and only has about 10K miles on a rebuild. It also has the correct bearing retainer for your 3 spd bell housing. I'm in Texas. PM me if interested.

James

Pm

OK I pm'd ya

CRZRJames said:
MX - I am looking to sell my SM465. It's out of a 4X4 and only has about 10K miles on a rebuild. It also has the correct bearing retainer for your 3 spd bell housing. I'm in Texas. PM me if interested.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom