sm465/toybox/splitcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about running an sm465/toybox/splitcase behind a tbi 350 in a fj40 and was wondering if anyone has any input. Will the toybox hold up with a v8 or is there a better solution?

I have been running the SM-465/Toybox/3-speed since Dec. 2003, behind a Chevy 350 CID engine, and have not had one problem with it. I'm running the Rubicon, Dusy, Fordyce trails every year, so not exactly babying the drive train.

Most of my trail use is with the Toybox in "low-range" and the transfer case in "high-range).

I have been running the SM-465/Toybox/3-speed since Dec. 2003, behind a Chevy 350 CID engine, and have not had one problem with it. I'm running the Rubicon, Dusy, Fordyce trails every year, so not exactly babying the drive train.

Most of my trail use is with the Toybox in "low-range" and the transfer case in "high-range).
Do you drive it on the road also or is it just a trail rig? The reason I ask is because the rig I'm building will be my sons first vehicle and will be driven daily.

go to you tube and look up "last man standing hollister 2010" and you will see what my fj40 with a fuel injected 5.7L with a SM465 and a Marlin crawlbox with 2.28 gears and the stock transfercase with 4.10 gears on 37" Boggers and a big right foot. I love the setup and dont have any problems, I think its a great set-up

Last edited:
go to you tube and look up "last man standing hollister 2010" and you will see what my fj40 with a fuel injected 5.7L with a SM465 and a Marlin crawlbox with 2.28 gears and the stock transfercase with 4.10 gears on 37" Boggers and a big right foot. I love the setup and dont have any problems, I think its a great set-up

Very nice, I will be running the same set up on my 40. I hope to have it done by the end of the month or close. Do you find your self using the toybox much?

If you plan to build using this combo make sure and flip your rear springs you need all the room you can get.

Crwlntoy..... you asked if I drive my Cruiser on the road?? You bet! I drive it to most trails. In fact, I drove it to Moab and back a few years ago.

For your info.... I have the 4.7:1 ratio, and it is the cat's meow. 1st gear is sometimes too low (even with the transfer case in "high-range", so I frequently use 2nd & 3rd gears in the tranny which are synchroed. Works very nice. Quiet on the highway too.

Crwlntoy..... you asked if I drive my Cruiser on the road?? You bet! I drive it to most trails. In fact, I drove it to Moab and back a few years ago.

For your info.... I have the 4.7:1 ratio, and it is the cat's meow. 1st gear is sometimes too low (even with the transfer case in "high-range", so I frequently use 2nd & 3rd gears in the tranny which are synchroed. Works very nice. Quiet on the highway too.
How far back did you move the rear axel to make your setup work? The way mine is set now its pushed back 4" and I still have the option of flipping the springs to get more if needed.

After watching your videos it is obvious that it is a stout setup. I hope my son doesn't try to drive like that after I show them to him.

I'm thinking about running an sm465/toybox/splitcase behind a tbi 350 in a fj40 and was wondering if anyone has any input. Will the toybox hold up with a v8 or is there a better solution?

That would be a good set up. I don't know what the Toybox can actually handle, but I have not heard of too many breaking. the split case is Toyota's best and a stout unit. You could also consider SM465/203/Split case for less cash and good bang for buck. The really sweet thing about the Toybox, is that it is ready to go with no special effort and immediate gratification. I love mine.

The most important thing is to stay out of the throttle. If you are going to drive like an idiot, you can break anything with a Briggs and Stratton.

SM465 = the best offroad tranny ever.

Still, for just a bit more cash, you could run SM465/Atlas and a 14 bolt in the rear. It's a little more work and a little more cash, but it's the best of all worlds.

How far back did you move the rear axel to make your setup work? The way mine is set now its pushed back 4" and I still have the option of flipping the springs to get more if needed.

I have not moved my rear axle back; nor have I flipped the springs. The rear driveshaft is about 19" long with a double cardon joint. This setup is liveable, but probably not the best.

I have not moved my rear axle back; nor have I flipped the springs. The rear driveshaft is about 19" long with a double cardon joint. This setup is liveable, but probably not the best.

I have this setup and have only had one issue, that Marlin fixed for free 3 years after I bought it. If you are buy it new then its good (marlin has upgraded the front bearing in the toybox. I have heard that the 4.7 gears may not hold up if play hard(really hard). but I wouldnt worry about it....

I called Marlins shop today to place the order but all I got was a voice mail and no return phone call. I will try again on monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom