1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SM465 question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by tlcgear, Jan 28, 2004.

1. tlcgear

tlcgear

I might be installing a SM465 into a 73 cruiser. I wonder those who had experince with it can tell me what kind of mods did you have to do to get it in there.

I have stock 3 spd case and an F.

thanks.

I went to the tech section and, for what I understood, the one that was there was for a V8 engine fitting.

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Fitting the t-case to the trans is going to be the same as in Brians write up. Along with the plate adapter, which is the way I went with my 420, you will need to get a sleeve and ring spacer, available from classic cruisers, or others possibly, to properly align the trans to the Toyota three speed bellhousing, and the sleeve is for the input shaft to incrase the diameter in order to use the Land Cruiser throw out bearing.

Driveshafts will need to be lengthend and shortend, you will need to fab up a mounting arrangement for the t-case control, which again, is not that big of a deal. There are lots of pics out there on many sites of t-case linkage control set ups.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Read through the write ups on the 420 swaps, as these are very similar, other than the output shaft on the 465 needing to be modified, and the length difference 420-10.5" and 465-12"

-Steve

4. tlcgear

tlcgear

great, thanks for the info.

5. atazman

atazman

The other posts have done a good job in telling you what is needed to use the SM-465 and 3-speed Transfer Case combo. That is what I was using..........until about 3 weeks ago.

I just purchased/installed the Marlin Toybox between my SM-465 and 3-speed transfer case. As a result, I have the Advanced Adapter (that connected my tranny to transfer case) and the rear crossmember that mounts to the transfer case for sale. If you have any interest in either or both of these items, please E-Mail me at atazman@earthlink.net.

Either way...........best wishes on your installation.

Don Evans
    Pleasanton, CA