SM465 Plate Adaptors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this is the right place or not.

I am thinking of getting some SM465 adaptor plates made up. Is there any interest in this? Are people just using the AA adaptor or the "kit" from Classic cruisers?

I can get as few as 10 made, however the more I get made, the cheaper they would be.

Let me know..

Figured I would get a list going. When I get to 10, we can move forward..

01 Shawn Russell - Paid In Full
02 Non-Mud User
03 Jakes40 - Deposit Paid
04 VA.Cruiser X2 - Paid In Full
05 homebuiltcruiser - Paid In Full
06 Gotta40 - Deposit Paid
07 TLCHopII - Paid In Full
08 deliverance - Paid In Full
09 toytadan - Paid In Full
10 tech6023 - Paid In Full

*** Update •••

PM's sent to all the people on the list. I am moving forward on these. If anyone else wants in, let me know now!

The programming is done, so as long at it is all correct, it should not take too long to have these in hand. I would assume on the high side 30 days before you have them.

I need to get a deposit from you. You can paypal me if you wish or ask me for my mailing address.

I need 100.00 up front (non refundable if you change your mind) and the rest before I ship.

$250.00 total shipped to the lower 48.

Please include you Mud screen name so I can mark you down as paying the deposit.

*** Update 02/15/2011 ***

Order for adaptors placed.

Last edited:
Steel or aluminum?

$$$$$ ? (ballpark for just the plate)

Aluminum. Just the plate and bolts, no gaskets, no shaft, no shifters etc..

Depending on qty, $200 - $225 shipped, maybe less.

Shawn

No input guys? Too much $$? No one doing SM465 conversions?

Shawn

I would be interested, I want granny low. Would this be for a 2f /sm465 / 3spd transfer?

I would think there would be a lot of interest. When you see them go up for sale they are sold quick.

I would be interested, I want granny low. Would this be for a 2f /sm465 / 3spd transfer?

This would adapt the SM465 to your 3 speed transfer.

Shawn

So, I would still need to adapt the sm465 to the 2f?

I might be interested in one... I'm contemplating going with this setup as opposed to another setup I have on the bench right now...

I'd be in for one at $150-$225 as long as you are including the hardware for it....I used one that Woody sold a few years ago and it was great!...

I had one made by a local machinist out of T61. We clocked the t-case as far as possible so the linkage is about 1/4" below the tub - makes for a nice flat skid plate that is about 2" below the frame rails.

I had a bugger of a time with the threaded holes stripping and the tcase walking off the plate. First tried steel threaded inserts pressed into the plate - but didn't take the different heat expansion rates of the Al vs Steel into account, and the inserts pulled out on the first trail run. Finally fixed the problem by cutting square pockets on the tranny side of the plate that sandwich boltheads between the plate and the tranny, effectively creating studs. This worked really well and would highly recommend looking at this approach for anyone making the plates out of Al. I think the root cause turned out to be my design.

I had a "crossmember support" built into my skid, that bolted to the back of the tcase. Then I found out I had a broke DS front motor mount. I think the motor/tranny/tcase was trying to twist, but the rear crossmember support (bolted to the tcase) was trying to hold the tcase still. I believe this caused deflection in the bolts holding the tcase to the plate, resulting in them "wallering" and eventually stripping.

Just something to look out for if you utilize a crossmember support that ties to the tcase. I'd almost recommend trying to tie the tranny somehow instead.

:beer: Ramon

This should help:

Tcase crossmember/skid plate assembly:

IMG_2985.JPG

Skid bolted to frame rails:
IMG_2991.JPG

How tcase mates to crossmember/skid assembly:
IMG_2994.JPG

Tranny side of adapter plate, note bolt head pocket (couple of bolts in for fitment check):
DSC03011.JPG

DSC03013.JPG

Plate installed to tranny, before mating tcase. Bolts are now acting like studs:
DSC03018.JPG

Clear as mud now?

:beer: Ramon

Started a list of interested people (See first post). When I get 10 people, we can move forward.

Thanks
Shawn

Last edited:
I'm interested. may try to make one if this doesn't go anywhere in the next few months. can't seem to find anyone making them now for some reason.

Cool. A few more and I can have them made.

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom