Sm465/Orion spacer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed an Orion behind my SM465 using my Promac plate adapter in my 73 fj40. My question is: do I need a spacer on the transmission output shaft? Will the gear walk back toward the transmission? There wasn’t one on there when I pulled the 3 speed case. My concern with adding one would be that it would make contact with the transmission output bearing. It is driving fine now. AA manual mentioned a spacer for the 4 speed oem transmission, but not the earlier transmissions.
I found a thread that talked about the adapter using the spud shaft, but mine uses a tapped replacement output shaft on the SM465. Sorry I don’t have a better picture
EA7EDD31-2D50-460A-8FC0-1716D09125A8.jpeg
457A3275-4802-4FE0-9B52-F4F2C3DFED18.jpeg

I would think if you didn't have one with your 3-sp case, you wouldn't need one with the Orion. Did you call AA and ask them?

There is nothing wrong with having the input gear of the tcase pushed up against the output bearing of the trans. They all spin together, so there is nothing to rub. That is the way the 3 speeds were made. The irony is that the 4 speed incorporated a spacer because of the adapter plate on the back of the trains. And THAT spacer often ends up getting gouged when things work their way loose enough to let the spacer spin on the output shaft.

The inner race of the transmission output shaft would never do that.

Mark is the man! Thanks Mark, that actually answered my own question .:)

Not so fast John. My post was incomplete. What needs to be determined is WHAT is on the front side of the case for the input gear to rest against and, more importantly, WHERE is it in relation to the front face of the case. It doesn't do any good to say that the gear CAN rest up against the output bearing if the gear has to shave its way through the aluminum case to get there!

IOW, YMMV. I don't take anyone's instruction manual for the Bible. Measure the stuff out yourself.

Not so fast John. My post was incomplete. What needs to be determined is WHAT is on the front side of the case for the input gear to rest against and, more importantly, WHERE is it in relation to the front face of the case. It doesn't do any good to say that the gear CAN rest up against the output bearing if the gear has to shave its way through the aluminum case to get there!

IOW, YMMV. I don't take anyone's instruction manual for the Bible. Measure the stuff out yourself.
So does I make any difference that the tcase is the Orion with 4:1 gears? I think I’ll make the spacer to keep the gear in place. I was hoping someone would chime in and say it’s all good, but I don’t feel comfortable without something to keep it from walking toward the transmission. Time to drain the tcase again.

If I read Mark's post correctly, you should make sure the gear is in its proper alignment, with a spacer if necessary.

Yes, Mark, you are correct as I'm always learning about this. Archie, as Mark stated, what's in the front of the gear to rest on. Best to check and make sure. I don't know if all adapter plates are the same. This is what I have. But I also have a 4:1 with SM420.

After_adapter.jpg

If I read Mark's post correctly, you should make sure the gear is in its proper alignment, with a spacer if necessary.

Much more succinct Phil. :)

My plan is to cut down a piece of tube the right length to place the input gear square with the idler gear. Right?
The Orion kit came with just such a piece of tube for use with the pressing on of something or other. It’s a pretty good match to the output shaft on the tranny.

The gear has moved slightly? The gear must not move at all. That is a recipe for premature wear on the splines.

Cut the spacer sleeve with the tubing AA provided.

Yup, what he said ^^^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom