1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sm465 np205

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mcfj40, Mar 23, 2004.

1. mcfj40

mcfj40

I have a 73 fj40 with a sbc 305 with the stock 3 spd tranny and xfer. I have found a sm465 and np205 for $400. I would like to do the swap, but what else do I need to know and is it worth it? Since I can't sell the darn thing I guess I will dump some more money in it to make it the way I want it.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance. :beer:

2. FJ40Dude75

FJ40Dude75

centered rear thats the biggest thing to make it happen

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    the 205 is a phat boat anchor...and FJ40dude is right that you outta swap to a centered rear as well.

another option is a plate adapter between the 10-spline output SM465 and your existing 73 t-case. Classic Cruisers sells one currently, IH8MUD will have it's own aluminum studded option available soon for ~1/2 the price (speaking with the machinist this week, mine is installed now and being field tested on Saturday...)

4. mcfj40

mcfj40

The guy also has a 14 bolt 4.11 rear end that goes with it...Should I pick that up as well, and will my springs and shocks bolt up???

5. mcfj40

mcfj40

another option is a plate adapter between the 10-spline output SM465 and your existing 73 t-case. Classic Cruisers sells one currently, IH8MUD will have it's own aluminum studded option available soon for ~1/2 the price (speaking with the machinist this week, mine is installed now and being field tested on Saturday...)
    Would my Driveshafts and angles line up ok with this configuration? Would I have to shorten them or anything??

6. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    the 14-bolt is installable, but likely WAY wider than your current front axle, as well as WAY heavier. IMO, more work and upgrade effort than it's worth...but Mace will disagree...

Driveshafts will line up with the plate adapter option, but you'll likely have to change lengths of both shafts (one shorter, one longer)

7. Toyoland66

Toyoland66

This isn't exactly an easy swap....

Either get the plate adapter, keep your stock t-case and axles

or swap in the 205, in which case you HAVE to run a centered rear axle

If you swap in a 14 bolt rear you will be way wider in the rear and you will have 2 different bolt patterns for your wheels

So you either have to get the rear axle custom built ($$$) or swap the front axle as well with a 1 ton ($$$) or get a custom centered cruiser axlehousing that someone (not sure who) makes ($$$)

it sounds to me like this may be more work than you can handle.......nothing will "bolt up"

I think you should just swap the transmission and call it good

8. mcfj40

mcfj40

I think keeping the same xfer case and getting the adapter is my best option. I am waiting on a call from the seller tonight to see if they are still available and if he will sell them apart. I can deal with getting the driveshafts modified, but I really don't want to go through all the trouble of swapping the front and rear axles.

Thanks for the help so far. Any more info is also welcome. I am steadily reading write ups and investigating my options.

9. racerdave

racerdave

I picked up a second FJ40 last spring. A ‘76 with a 350/465/205. It has an early LC centered rear end that is 2 inches narrower than the front. Wheel spacers easily make up for the two inches. Next problem, course spline axles. I chose not to have fine splines custom built; I run the 10 splines and pack spares. (No one but me will need a course spline centered axle)
    While no one will argue about the strength of my 205, they may question why one would want a Tcase to hang down 4-5 inches below the frame rails. Did I mention that the 205 is huge? I am looking for a clocking kit to remedy the loss of clearance.

My advice, install the 465 and stick three speed Tcase behind it. You will get lower gears (3speed case 2.3-1 vs. 205 1.98-1), more clearance, and no axle changes. You will have to have driveshafts adjusted, but you will not have to have custom shafts built, like my Chevy on one end and cruiser on the other shafts. My first cruiser has a 465 with the stock 3 speed Tcase. I have both and know what I would do if building another cruiser. ;)

10. mcfj40

mcfj40

Before I go through all this trouble, is the sm465 going to give me anymore highway speeds and les RPM's? I can run my 3spd w/ 33" tires about 70 at a little over 3000rpm. I am looking to improve that to make the interstate drive to work more comfortable.

11. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

No better highway.
    3sp and 4 spd trannies have 1:1 top gear.
    I would throw in the tranny and then go to bigger tires, or if you are not concerned about crawling 3.73 gears from a 60. (The first gear of the 465 will easily make up for the swap)