SM465 adapter plate ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If that tap is cutting, and it looks like it is, just keep going, hand tap will take awhile, 1/4 turn, back it out, clean , repeat
Will do! Gonna pick up some Tap Magic too and see if it makes it any easier.

What about a washer once taped? If I remember when I did mine I had a big thick washer the screw that went into the sm465 output shaft held in place to keep the pull gear on. What type of washer have peoples used?

What about a washer once taped? If I remember when I did mine I had a big thick washer the screw that went into the sm465 output shaft held in place to keep the pull gear on. What type of washer have peoples used?
This is what I have and comes with the kit from Shawn. It’s a big @$$ 9/16” and washer. It doesn’t have anything that goes over the 10 spline shaft or have any kind of lock.
I’m just going to be amazed if I can ever get mine tapped now. If I can I’m just going to put a lot of red RTV on it and hope it holds.

99AFF8D8-6ED3-4B39-B5DC-E89710C2B318.jpeg

E9C7887A-B705-4C6F-848D-6E649BF5F0E3.jpeg

This is what I have and comes with the kit from Shawn. It’s a big @$$ 9/16” and washer. It doesn’t have anything that goes over the 10 spline shaft or have any kind of lock.
I’m just going to be amazed if I can ever get mine tapped now. If I can I’m just going to put a lot of red RTV on it and hope it holds.

View attachment 2751291

View attachment 2751293
That looks good for the washer to keep the bull gear on.

just keep at the tap. Slow turns back and fourth

I bought the Xtra Thick Tap Magic and it seemed like it might have been helping but then SNAP! There went my tap. I don’t know what kind of shaft they put in this SM465 but it can’t be cut. I’m going to put the 3 speed back in so I can at least drive the FJ again.

FA34F3B1-9B7D-44C8-AE92-B222F55369AF.jpeg

CC2226E7-B885-414E-B3EC-5C9F3A5EFB26.jpeg

AB836541-D4FA-4EC7-A061-B49B574B5537.jpeg

4470DC1A-9EA2-4B8F-A4FB-6AA29BBE815B.jpeg

F17633FF-8BB2-4FC3-B64D-1A0AF7A25A51.jpeg

is your shaft an original one for that trans? my trans was 2wd and I bought a new 4x4 shaft to put in it. must have just been case hardened as it tapped easily.

is your shaft an original one for that trans? my trans was 2wd and I bought a new 4x4 shaft to put in it. must have just been case hardened as it tapped easily.
I’m pretty sure it’s original. I bought it as a rebuilt unit from an old school transmission guy. I’ve gotten three threads deep and it won’t give any. The machine shop I paid $300 to do this that gave up said it’s probably 55 or higher Rockwell hardness. I’ve spent over $350 just on taps. Someone may have better luck and skills than me. The adapter plate kit cost me $250. It’s completely unused and I’ll let it go for $200. Shoot an offer maybe I’ll go less.

I’m pretty sure it’s original. I bought it as a rebuilt unit from an old school transmission guy. I’ve gotten three threads deep and it won’t give any. The machine shop I paid $300 to do this that gave up said it’s probably 55 or higher Rockwell hardness. I’ve spent over $350 just on taps. Someone may have better luck and skills than me. The adapter plate kit cost me $250. It’s completely unused and I’ll let it go for $200. Shoot an offer maybe I’ll go less.
Im in SC and would take $400 for the adapter plate and rebuilt 4x4 SM465. I want to keep the extra 3 speed transfer case but might throw it in too. Tell yer friends!

Just out of curiosity, what drill size did you use to drill before taping the hole?

Just out of curiosity, what drill size did you use to drill before taping the hole?
The machine shop I took it to (big mistake) drilled it 9/16” with a radial drill press. They had me order a 9/16” carbide tap that was specially made in Michigan for $280. He broke it on the first turn in the hole. He said he couldn’t do it and that I couldn’t either. I guess he was right because my $50 tap broke on me. I got farther than he did though.

The machine shop I took it to (big mistake) drilled it 9/16” with a radial drill press. They had me order a 9/16” carbide tap that was specially made in Michigan for $280. He broke it on the first turn in the hole. He said he couldn’t do it and that I couldn’t either. I guess he was right because my $50 tap broke on me. I got farther than he did though.
Something doesn't sound right here. Drill size for 9/16-18 should be 33/64 or .5156". A 9/16 drill is .5625". The reason I asked is I was wondering if it was drilled undersize which would put more stress on the tap. If it was actually drilled at 9/16" then there would not be any threads as 9/16" is the outside diameter of the thread. A carbide tape should have been able to do it but carbide is a brittle metal.

Sorry you've had this trouble.

Something doesn't sound right here. Drill size for 9/16-18 should be 33/64 or .5156". A 9/16 drill is .5625". The reason I asked is I was wondering if it was drilled undersize which would put more stress on the tap. If it was actually drilled at 9/16" then there would not be any threads as 9/16" is the outside diameter of the thread. A carbide tape should have been able to do it but carbide is a brittle metal.

Sorry you've had this trouble.
He may have drilled it the diameter you mentioned. He drilled it for a 9/16” tap and I can attest that it was tight as $&@!. I wish I could have found a capable machine shop. It’s nearly impossible to find a shop that will even take on work like this now. I called at least 10 machine shops in the Greenville SC area and they were the only ones that would even give it a try. All the other ones said they don’t do little jobs like this. I miss my FJ so I guess I’ll go back to the 3 speed for now. I bought new gaskets and seals for it.

If you can get the pieces out, you have 3 threads, keep going, I remember it seeming like nothing cut for alot of turns, also remember it was not really a turn but just a feel of a tiny bite and then lock up, thats the sweet spot, a million of those tiny bites, and I men like you probably don't see the rotation but more feel it, if I felt like there was no bite I would back it out and clean more , with a dental pick, and every time a little knurl would come out of a thread and boom next try i'd get a bit of rotation, after you dig a broken tap you get alot more in tune with the fact that the tap dont have to turn every time, forcing it wont work, cleaning it usually does, and I have quite for the night and carry on later just to not break a tap

Also, check the tap, like a drill, once those initial full dia. leading corners get dull, use a new one. Save the used ones cause once you get deep enough I use those to clean it up cause the dulled leading edges don't try and cut they tend to follow the groove which dresses it nicely for the bolt.

Last edited:
no problem and thanks for your help, i tracked one down last week and got my 40 taken apart and prepped as the adapter was on its way to me, shows up and it was wrong lol so now im stuck with my land cruiser all taken apart and no adapter.

no problem and thanks for your help, i tracked one down last week and got my 40 taken apart and prepped as the adapter was on its way to me, shows up and it was wrong lol so now im stuck with my land cruiser all taken apart and no adapter.
Check with classic cruisers in Colorado. I think they make them still

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom