SM420 up for grabs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any interest in a nice SM420? Been sitting in my garage for like 8 years or so.Didn’t post up on parts yet because I don’t have a price in mind just don’t really want to dump it in the metal recycling dumpster! I have the shifter also.Never got around to the swap still have my 69 FJ40 w the 3 speed floor conversation.Currently not running.But we are planning on moving in the spring so doing a full garage cleaning! I’ll try and load up some pics.Just put it outside but duct taped the shifter opening and I’ll cover it up.

89F73E98-F075-4972-A6C6-1EF951E9950F.jpeg

56074362-9027-4569-BDB4-20B3F37529BB.jpeg

Hey 1969FJ, I have not figured it out yet but might be a big pain to ship well see how much more interest I get here.I can always just not toss it yet it comes with shifter and knob with easy to see shift pattern.Somebody else pm’ed me so not sure I think they were asking to part it out.Ill get some better pics up this week.Thx for looking.

Hey 1969FJ, I have not figured it out yet but might be a big pain to ship well see how much more interest I get here.I can always just not toss it yet it comes with shifter and knob with easy to see shift pattern.Somebody else pm’ed me so not sure I think they were asking to part it out.Ill get some better pics up this week.Thx for looking.

Well, keep me in mind if there is a way to get it here. But, I do know weight and so forth and all the users here may want a piece. Thanks

For those unfamiliar with a 420
If there were ever a transmission made to learn how to wheel , the 420 and 465 are it. Learning to wheel with the stock transmission,
wheel placement, approach, departure , climbs , decents, etc just ends with burnt clutches , brakes and hammered steel parts.
The first gear doubles the low gear ratio of a 4 speed and is 65% lower than the 3 speed. Anyone wanting to learn how to wheel those difficult trails without risking their truck would be wise to consider

Last edited:
I agree with @lcwizard above....I had an SM465 from a Chevy 1-ton wrecker and it was simply a beast. It never broke a sweat, no matter what abuse I put it through.

Well, keep me in mind if there is a way to get it here. But, I do know weight and so forth and all the users here may want a piece. Thanks
Hey I will for sure I know they don’t make them like they used to! I don’t have to get rid of it right away.Im in the process of something I’ve been putting off for years as my garage has been a mess.Just trying to downsize.So it’s a good time to see what I have and put it up for grabs.Thx for the interest any idea how much shipping would be? My zip is 95007,I think it weighs a lot maybe under 80-90lbs but not sure.I will separate from the dump pile and get some better pics and a better idea how much it weighs.

For those unfamiliar with a 420
If there were ever a transmission made to learn how to wheel , the 420 and 465 are it. Learning to wheel with the stock transmission,
wheel placement, approach, departure , climbs , decents, etc just ends with burnt clutches , brakes and hammered steel parts.
The first gear doubles the low gear ratio of a 4 speed and is 65% lower than the 3 speed. Anyone wanting to learn how to wheel those difficult trails without risking their truck would be wise to consider

Hey yea I have seen them on the trails most notably the Rubicon.A member here”Cruiserdrew” has ran one for years I believe.So many others as well,I had a plate adapter lined up but fell through.Years went by and I lost interest. I think I’m more into just getting my 40 back on the road in the future and just doing some light duty trails nothing too hardcore.But wow great info this is what got me first interested in this tranny.

The plate adapters were cheap and simple and did well if you took time in the assembly. If you didn't take the time to clean the
threaded holes and use some locktite on the bolts they would sometimes loosen up and you'd need to retighten. I built dozens of those adapters in the 90s. Probably have a few laying about still. We used one on Tracy Jordan's first truck that eventually ended up
in the ARCA comps.

Thanks for the reply’s the last one is really interesting. I have some more pics so it would be cool to see what kind of SM420 I have.

12CF1DD1-D082-4936-A399-EF41A6474D74.jpeg

5BDE1CB3-BDB9-419C-A23D-CAF84E5911C1.jpeg

65DADBAF-665F-46CB-9989-279F5B76F712.jpeg

5BC36A2C-31A6-4633-B5B7-73894333BB49.jpeg

C72BFF06-6387-4361-BBF1-49FE42990100.jpeg

So there is already some kind of adapter on there.No clue what it kind it is but I did get it from a guy with a built 40.When I was looking I looked at the 3/8” aluminum plate type an EBI I think.

Couple more pics just pulled it back into garage from pile outside.Its been in the damm garage for like 8 years! We finally got a little cool down with some mere sprinkles of rain.Friggn Ca. It never rains here!!

535E27AF-CC06-4DD3-812A-10DD48C1445B.jpeg

F534F647-7A45-4707-BDF9-618FEEEC9559.jpeg

It's an earlier style. The later 1's had external ribs on the case. The bracket on the back was for the emergency brake. You can pull the frt bearing retainer to see if it has a seAL in it, or see if it has reverse like threads milled into the input shaft to sling oil back into trans. The latter are older. These were used from the 50s to about 1967, in 1/2 ton to 2 ton trucks. The next step to see if it's good is to pull the side inspection cover off and look at the 2nd gear dogs and see if they are in good shape. If it's been ground into 2nd gear a lot, it may periodically pop out of 2nd, or sometimes it pops out a lot. The 2ND gear dogs can't be replaced.

Here's a early style input shaft.
20191119_222451.jpg

It's an earlier style. The later 1's had external ribs on the case. The bracket on the back was for the emergency brake. You can pull the frt bearing retainer to see if it has a seAL in it, or see if it has reverse like threads milled into the input shaft to sling oil back into trans. The latter are older. These were used from the 50s to about 1967, in 1/2 ton to 2 ton trucks. The next step to see if it's good is to pull the side inspection cover off and look at the 2nd gear dogs and see if they are in good shape. If it's been ground into 2nd gear a lot, it may periodically pop out of 2nd, or sometimes it pops out a lot. The 2ND gear dogs can't be replaced.
Wow some great information now I’m definitely going to pull the side cover off.Ill be sure to post up pics to see how gears look inside.I thought the one forged says CL1956 or 58.I remember reading another thread about the other numbers but yes now I recall about the ribbed sides.Thx for the reply’s

Love the SM420. Nothing better in a wheeling 40. It's short, strong, 7:1 low gear makes you feel like superman on the trail, and coupled with an Orion it's about as good as it gets.

I've had a couple over the years, and the one in my FJ40 is a ribbed case from about 1962. It was rebuilt about 2004 and bullet proof since. I was told the source was a school bus, but the side plate says US govt purchase, possibly military. Extreme Bends in Canada still sell good adapter parts.

Only the very late ones have the external ribs. Anything from about 1956ish has the better input seal. But a great transmission for a wheeler. The very last ones are identifiable by a reverse switch.

Funny, this thread made me look at Craigslist. There's one (as usual) locally for $200. It's a ribbed case and so one of the really best ones.

@jsuthey - yours looks modified. The side cover filler and non-stock washers on the cover bolts are the give-away. Any info? It looks like the way Warden's used to modify back in the day.

I just looked on craigslist too. There's a guy who has 2 of them local. $50 each, one has a pto attached to it. Then There's 1 A 100 Miles Away for $400.

Love the SM420. Nothing better in a wheeling 40. It's short, strong, 7:1 low gear makes you feel like superman on the trail, and coupled with an Orion it's about as good as it gets.

I've had a couple over the years, and the one in my FJ40 is a ribbed case from about 1962. It was rebuilt about 2004 and bullet proof since. I was told the source was a school bus, but the side plate says US govt purchase, possibly military. Extreme Bends in Canada still sell good adapter parts.

Only the very late ones have the external ribs. Anything from about 1956ish has the better input seal. But a great transmission for a wheeler. The very last ones are identifiable by a reverse switch.

Funny, this thread made me look at Craigslist. There's one (as usual) locally for $200. It's a ribbed case and so one of the really best ones.

@jsuthey - yours looks modified. The side cover filler and non-stock washers on the cover bolts are the give-away. Any info? It looks like the way Warden's used to modify back in the day.

Cruserdrew, lots of good info thx for posting up.I remember running the Rubicon with you around 06-08 Rubithon wagon runs. I had my 93 80 spoiled with the automatic&diff lockers.But back to the Sm420 I don’t really have any history on it just picked it up from a guy with a built 40 selling some other 40 parts in Willow Glen area in SJ,Ca.I think he said it had been rebuilt but they always say that like it run great before I pulled it! Bummer I never got it installed as I was totally inspired seeing your 40 1st hand how cool a mildly built 40 could just cruise the Rubicon and make it look easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom