SM420 Pilot Bearing ?'s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys, I'm getting closer and closer to getting the 420 in there, but I have one question. Charlie (pinhead) outlines a procedure to make an adapter for the pilot bearing on an SM420. He offhand mentions that this is only necessary if you do not buy an adapter. On Mike Smythes' site he mentions a bearing needed "for Warden's pilot adapter." Is this Warden's pilot adapter what PH is referring to? and if so where do I get one? (I don't trust my fab skills, I need to save time, (school starts waaaay too soon) and I recently had a pilot bearing failure while on the trail and its NOT fun).
Or maybe I'm way off here and someone needs to smack me? ??? (I did have another soccer practice today :eek: )
Any ideas from those of you that have done the swap?
Maybe some invaluable wisdom from Mike or Charlie themselves?

There are several adapters that are required. You need to pilot bearing sleave, To bearing sleave and the index ring for the bellhousing. You can get these in a nice kit from extreme bends. The GM pilot bearing # is 14061685. You can get it from NAPA - about $13. I am just starting my conversion, so if I run into issues I will let you know.

I've got the index ring. I'll hit up extreme bends for the other stuff. Thanks again Brad.

Wait what are these items:
"You need to pilot bearing sleave, To bearing sleave"
I need a pilot bearing sleave and what?
and both of these are included in the hardware kit at extremebends? Sorry if I'm being difficult I just want to be sure this is what I need before I drop $100 CDN on the kit.

My understanding is there is a sleeve for the throwout bearing (The tall sleeve in the picture) and a pilot bearing sleeve that gets tapped into the crank.

Ok one more question:
Where did you get the GM pilot bearing? I tried my Napa today, but the guy (who is pretty knowledgable) said that he can't cross the number, but if I give him a I.D. and O.D. he said he may be able to find one that will work.
Thanks a ton.

I have to pick mine up today. I will see if it has a napa part number or something.

The adaptor I show in the write up is for the throw out bearing, not the pilot bearing. I used the pilot bearing from Classic Cruisers. At about $27, it is a bargain for a sealed bearing with no adaptor required.

The Napa number for the pilot bearing (BK 615-1049) They list it as a bushing.

Pinhead,
Do you happen to have a picture of the classis cruisers bearing you referenced?

No, I don't have a picture but it is easy to visualize. It is just like the stock Toyota bearing, except the inner race is 3/8 inch wider on the side facing the rear.

where does the part# 202RRE come from? and where can I get the discontinued bearing retainer from AA. The '72 I'm workn' on - someone grinded the stock 420 retainer. It would be sooo convenient to slap a new machined one on.

Received my 202RRE's today. whoever took the time to cross reference this part is a genius! NOW, to make no doubt, does the long side of the inner race point toward the crank ?

So the flywheel is in and the new fasteners are torqued. Before installing the pilot bearing, I always make sure that it is a slip-fit on the end of the transmission input shaft so as to avoid any binding while installing the transmission into the clutch and flywheel housing. I just use a piece of emery cloth and lightly sand down the input shaft.
After the pilot bearing is a slip fit on the input shaft, it is then installed into the end of the crank shaft. After it is seated, I put a dab of anti-seize in the center of the pilot bearing where the input shaft will be touching it.

From the FAQ

Received my 202RRE's today. whoever took the time to cross reference this part is a genius! NOW, to make no doubt, does the long side of the inner race point toward the crank ?

The ‘long side of the inner race’ would be orientated towards the transmission and not the crankshaft.

Be sure to fit that bearing to your input shaft of the transmission before you install it into the crankshaft.
ip02.jpg
ip03.jpg
ip04.jpg

This thread started 10 years ago. Amazing.

Got it, I'm glad I didn't proceed any further. My thinking was to have more of the bearing around the shaft and use the inner race as the spacer needed, hence the 3/8" space to be filled. But the excess should be toward the 420. Another Q: what is your opinion with someone grinding the stock 420 retainer to fit the stock '40 throwout sleeve?

Another Q: what is your opinion with someone grinding the stock 420 retainer to fit the stock '40 throwout sleeve?

Seems like a very bad idea. I think you have it backwards. The retainer is smaller in diameter than the 40s throw out sleeve. It's been a long time since I did this, but you need to make the retainer nose bigger in diameter by shimming with a bit of pipe.

Seems like a very bad idea. I think you have it backwards. The retainer is smaller in diameter than the 40s throw out sleeve. It's been a long time since I did this, but you need to make the retainer nose bigger in diameter by shimming with a bit of pipe.

Correct..

And I used a Pilot bushing instead of a bearing. Never noticed the difference.

Waaait a minute, the 420 retainer has to be modified to fit into the throwout bearing sleeve and from seeing AA's conversion piece (now discontinued) it looks shallow-er than stock. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly but I do know there are so many different ways its been done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom