Sm420 necessary Hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Mike Smythe adaptor, but I bought it when he was no longer offering the hardware kits.

I cannot find a complete list of the hardware that is in this picture:
adapter_kit_2.jpg

I searched and found one of Mikes post's that lists some of the items-

5" thread 7/16c qty 3
Studs- Napa St52 7/16x7/16cx2 qty 2
7/16 crimped steel locknuts qty 2
7/16 split lock washers- qty 3
7/16 plate washers- qty 3

8 short bolts
8 flat washers for short bolts
Heres my question-

What size are the 8 short bolts?

It appears in the picture that the 8 short bolts are black anodized/coated- is this necessary?

I assume the long bolts should be grade 8?

Thanks!

CruisinGA said:
Studs- Napa St52 7/1
What size are the 8 short bolts?

It appears in the picture that the 8 short bolts are black anodized/coated- is this necessary?

I assume the long bolts should be grade 8?

Thanks!

You can use the bolts out of the rear of the SM420 when ya take the housing off, they are 3/8" course, about 1''and since they are bathed in 90 wt. it should not matter if the are coated or not
You have the bearing?

I think the long bolts may be grade 5, but they may be 8.

I didn't pay that much attention putting it together.

Ok, good deal. Thanks guys.

Are you talkin about the N307LOE bearing, Butch?

If so, yep I've got it.

Had the adapter, bearings, and gaskets for over 2 years. The transmission for 2 days. Funny how things work out. At least it forced me to take care of all the little bits and pieces while I looked for a tranny.

CruisinGA said:
Ok, good deal. Thanks guys.

Are you talkin about the N307LOE bearing, Butch?

If so, yep I've got it.

Had the adapter, bearings, and gaskets for over 2 years. The transmission for 2 days. Funny how things work out. At least it forced me to take care of all the little bits and pieces while I looked for a tranny.

THe long bolts are grade 5.

They also wiped the threads out of the adapter...
Make DAMNED sure you get the torque right, and retorque the bolts after a week or so, and then check them every so often.......

What I Did with my adapter is that I bored the holes for the long bolts out, tapped them, and then helicoiled them down to 1/2" - 13 and used some grade 8 bolts (I would hav eused studs, but I couldn't find any that were long enough). THis has held well, and they are still torqued to their original value.

YMMV

-James

I just bought some grade 8 bolts for the long ones.

I will check torque frequently, and if it does not hold look for another solution.

Thanks!

CruisinGA said:
I just bought some grade 8 bolts for the long ones.

I will check torque frequently, and if it does not hold look for another solution.

Thanks!

Clean EVERY hole with brake cleaner VERY well before installing anything...

Use RED LOCKTITE ON EVERYTHING!!!!

Good luck!

-Steve

Remeber to get the little spacer from toyota that goes between the two bearings. He has it listed on that page. I don't have it and have been running my 420 for 3 years and just recently saw that you were supposed to have that little guy in there.

bustanutley said:
Remeber to get the little spacer from toyota that goes between the two bearings. He has it listed on that page. I don't have it and have been running my 420 for 3 years and just recently saw that you were supposed to have that little guy in there.

Got it. Had it for 2 years actually. :eek:

Will do Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom