SM420: Finding neutral (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to back my truck out of the garage under its own power for the first time with the SM420, I realize I have no reverse or neutral.

I assume this is because I did not orient the shift forks correctly.

Anyone have a picture of what the inside of the tranny should look like in neutral?

Thanks !

All you need to do is remove the shift lever and then use a long screw driver to move the shift fork rods into neutral. You can tell it is in neutral when all three slots line up staight across. Alternatively, you can find the slot that is out of line with the other two (there can only be one) and put the nose into that particular slot. Then it will shift.

Pin head, you changed your avatar? Quite unique indead ;p

You can also use the stock LC 3 speed tranny shifter with the 420. Fools the heck out people. They think you have a stock 3 speed with that shifter sticking up.

I have the stock 3 spd shifter installed.

It shifts through the gears fine.

There are 5 forward gears, no reverse.

I need to align the shift forks with the gears on the main shaft when installing the top plate, that is my problem.

CruisinGA said:
I have the stock 3 spd shifter installed.

It shifts through the gears fine.

There are 5 forward gears, no reverse.

I need to align the shift forks with the gears on the main shaft when installing the top plate, that is my problem.

Oh. That IS a different problem. I found that it is hard to keep the reverse gear from sliding backwards when you put the top cover on. If this happens, the fork won't engage the slot on the R gear. The solution is to put a dab of wheel bearing greas on it's shaft to "stick" it while you put the cover on. 1-2 and 3-4 sliders have positive stops for N so they are no problem.

cardinal fang said:
Pin head, you changed your avatar? Quite unique indead ;p

I was cruising iTunes and I was reminded that the Ramones had a song "I don't want to be a pin head no more". The cover art looked cool and I didn't want to be the only one w/o an avatar.

Turned out the gears were not in the right place, they had moved at some point, so the large shift fork was not engaging the large gear in the rear of the case. Got it sorted out and....

JUST DROVE THE TRUCK!!!

WOOHOOOOO

drove around for a little while with no lights, no exhaust, no seat and floorboard still full of tools. :D

idled up my driveway (fairly steep) no problem.

67:1 rocks. :D

Charlie- you are the man. I would have never had the confidence to attempt this swap had it not been for your writeup. Not to mention my coutless questions that you've so aptly and promptly answered. I hope one day I make it out west and can thank you personally.

:cheers: Bailey

lol 67:1

133:1
142:1

chinese fire drill around the truck back to drivers seat in less then 20 ft. :)

done the miss a sycro with a fork while putting the cover on a number of times. sm465 is a major pain to do.

Pin_Head said:
Pretty cool, huh?

How did the T case linkage work out?

Haven't bolted it up yet. So far I've been content to reach through the non-existent tranny tunnel and shift by hand while I tighten up other loose ends I created.

Hi^C- Blow me buddy :flipoff2:

Its a damn big step from 33"s with a 3 spd. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom