Sluggish wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
73 (early) fj40 windshield wiper problem: I have read ALL on the subject via this site. Proud to say that after LOTS of hours my wiper system works! HOWEVER, even while spraying water on windshield the old motor just don't want to go good. Yes, it has low & high speeds (full switch pull out is a little faster that first position). I cleaned out old grease and changed out the 3 half worn brushes -- could the problem be wrong grease and.or junk brushes? I got some cheap China made brushes and carefully sanded them to proper size - shunt wires go out sides as they should. Maybe I should take the wiper blades off and let her run for an hour to lossen it up or seat the brushes or ..... hell, I don' know. HELP I could roll the window down and reach outside during storms to assist my wimpy wipers.

How’s the ground? Wiper switch new? Maybe it’s not seeing 12v or the resistance is high due to not being fully grounded.

Last edited:
That's what I was going to suggest. The switch has to be cleaned very well and also make sure that the mating surface between the switch and the backside of the dashboard is clean so it make a good ground contact.
You could also take a voltage reading at the motor to ensure it's getting 12v, as well as measure how much resistance you have from the ground lead to the chassis ground. You want that to be 0 or very close to 0 to ensure the grounding is the best it can be through the switch, ground wire, connector etc. to the wiper motor.

What size blades do you have installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom