sluggish rear wiper fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this has ever been addressed here before but I figured I'd post this in case any one has a similar problem.

The rear wiper on my fj60 has been sluggish ever since I bought the truck. It would barely move forward but once the switch was turned to off the wiper would spring back in place very quickly. I thought it was the motor until I realized that it worked fine if I pushed the switch all the way up to wiper and fluid, or put it back into the off position... only the main ON position was not working which I realized meant the switch was probably bad.

I pulled the switch, disconected it and opened the back up with two very small screws (thank god for old hardware thats actually assembled instead of glued together!). Inside is a very simple mechanism with a copper rocker, like a sea-saw, with small metal contacts on the ends. They were a little black but didn't look to bad so I thought maybe I was worng. Scratched them up with a file anyway and reassembled. Put the switch back in and wow... works great, full power rear wiper! :cool:

If your wiper is even a little sluggish, this is probably the solution. 10 min is all it takes.

later,
dave

that's cool. I'll have to try that on mine. I always thought it was just worn out.

This same trick also works to aid in slow, underpowered windows as well. It's important to clean EVERYTHING in the window switches, but it made a huge difference in my truck. The motors themselves are still woefully underpowered, but they are getting full power from the wiring harness now that I cleaned the switches.

I REALLY want to find a window motor out of a newer vehicle that'll fit in a 62...

Mine will sometimes not work. And other times works fine. I will give ithat a try. I figured I would have check all the connections and find which one was loose. I keep putting it off.

sweet, fixed up that problem just like that. Now seperately, I have woefully slow wipers on the front of my 60, if the window gets a bit dry or dirty, the blades will actually stop, not so good..
thanks
J

Mine will sometimes not work. And other times works fine. I will give ithat a try. I figured I would have check all the connections and find which one was loose. I keep putting it off.

it could be the wiring harness at the liftgate area, it can become brittle from opening and closing from many years of usage. in my case with the road salt in my area, i had to take the rear motor linkage apart. it was seized at the shaft! i re-greased the area and all is well now.
hth,:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom