slow wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My wipers run very slowly on low speed and, after a while, stop all together. They'll continue to work on high speed. Does anone else have this problem with their 40?

Any good way to test if my motor is getting week, or if the wiring isn't carrying the load?

Better yet, has anyone heard of, or done a swap from a newer model, perhaps an 80 with a stronger motor? Better yet, with variable intermittent speeds?

What year model?

Many times the gears are gummed up with old grease/gunk/dirt. You can just pull the motor apart, clean out the old grease, put new grease in and they run smoother. If you search you will find some threads about cleaning out the gears with some good details and tips.

I agree with the previous posters, all the gearing and pivot shafts get really gummed up over their lifespans, just take them apart, soak them down with degreaser, scrub them until they're clean, and reoil, reinstall. If that doesn't solve your problems, new 75-84 style wiper motors are to be had at from Cool Cruisers of Texas, and just about every other landcruiser site.
Also check the wiring, if there's any location where the wire rubs against metal, it can cause mechanical wear on the wire, and eventually create resistance and shorts. New wire, if needed is really just an afternoon's work.

Check to make sure that you still have a good ground, and have a look at your brushes. Try those two things before you spend any money

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom