Slow to pump gas - fuel filler neck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
Anyone else here have this issue? Has been the case with us ever since we drove the GX home, and I'm getting tired of it. Fairly well documented that the root cause is the lining inside the filler neck swells up, and just doesn't allow gas to flow down into the tank as fast... so the pump thinks it's full. here's a 100 series thread gas tank slow fill, pump keeps shutting off

Curious if anyone knows the part number, and how tough it was to swap this. Doesn't sound that bad, maybe a little dirty that's all, I just want to order the right part.

this appears to be the exploded view
771685F.jpg

this has been my workaround... I shove the ratchet from a strap in the handle, then gently wedge it back until it flows just below the tripping point. It's about half as fast as the lowest setting that flipping the little doodad would have yielded, but that is as fast as we can go. Easily 15 minutes to fill the tank.

IMG_4139.JPG

Wow, does this happen very time you fill up or intermittently? There has been a couple times that I had to hold the pump trigger in just the right spot while other times I can use the flip mechanism just fine.

When I bought my GX I noted the fuel door didn't open very far (70-80 degrees vs. 90) and the pump would sit at a weird angle in the filler and would shut the pump off. I did some massaging which allowed the door to open more, now no more issues.

Wow, does this happen very time you fill up or intermittently? There has been a couple times that I had to hold the pump trigger in just the right spot while other times I can use the flip mechanism just fine.

Yes, this is the case for me and I always try to go back to the same pump that has worked well in the past. Sometimes there are pumps that just won't work with this gas tank no matter what crazy angle I put the damn nozzle at so I just punt and go to another pump the following day.

Anyone else here have this issue? Has been the case with us ever since we drove the GX home, and I'm getting tired of it. Fairly well documented that the root cause is the lining inside the filler neck swells up, and just doesn't allow gas to flow down into the tank as fast... so the pump thinks it's full. here's a 100 series thread gas tank slow fill, pump keeps shutting off

Curious if anyone knows the part number, and how tough it was to swap this. Doesn't sound that bad, maybe a little dirty that's all, I just want to order the right part.

this appears to be the exploded view
771685F.jpg

So which part of the filler neck has a lining in it? 77201 or 77213B?

I have no issues in my home state but have when I traveled elsewhere. Pumps work differently state to state.

For us it's every single time, regardless of pump or angle. It will only just b
So which part of the filler neck has a lining in it? 77201 or 77213B?

No idea, that is what I was hoping to find out.

I knew there was more of you out there... all kinds of these posts on clublexus, etc.

Mine seems to be the worst when I have the pump inserted all the way in. If I pull the pump neck out just a little to where it almost seems it's going to fall out, I can set the trigger and it won't shut off. It's friggin weird. I thought mine was the only one that did that Til I read this thread.

Well shoot, I was hoping to fix this tonight but alas no. I replaced part 77213-35370 which I purchased form Lexus Parts Hub.. $55 shipped. My thought was the inside of the tube had degraded and was clogged, and was hoping to find evidence of that. But no, what I found was what appears to be a perfectly good tube, and with the new tube installed my gas is just as slow as before to pour in.

the new tube...

IMG_0539.jpg

Where this is located...
IMG_0540.jpg

Old and new together...
IMG_0541.jpg

And the old tube sliced in half.
IMG_0542.jpg

What I did notice, is the tube has a pretty good kink in it, on the side away from the gas tank. it gets this because to install it, one has to bend the tube somewhat severely. So when I installed the tube, I actually gave it a kink, which matches the kink that the old one had before. So I'm wondering if some of you other guys also see a kink up there, both folks who also have this issue as well as folks who don't have this issue.. I tried to work the tube back on the other pipe as much as I could but couldn't really stretch it.. but just wondering if that kink is enough to cause a barrier to the gas flowing into the tank freely.

You could try putting a hose clamp over the kink, in order to force the hose into a more open, rounded shape. I did that to the hose on my Shop-Vac.

If that doesn't help, maybe this is a venting issue?

A friend had this happen to his 2000 Corolla. Turned out that mud wasps somehow made a nest in the Evap tubes / charcoal canister under his car (according the dealer). With those replaced his gas pumping rate returned to normal. Now that I think of it I'm not sure if that is possible since all of those lines should be sealed (ie no vents) and the only escape should be through an evap line going into the engine / intake that gets opened off-throttle. Still, I'm not sure what would happen if those tubes were clogged with regards to filling the tank with gas, but it may be another place to look.

You could try putting a hose clamp over the kink, in order to force the hose into a more open, rounded shape. I did that to the hose on my Shop-Vac.

If that doesn't help, maybe this is a venting issue?

that is a good idea, thanks I am going to try that. I have ruled out venting for the time being as I actually took this into a shop a while back for this this issue, and they ran air up and down the vent to confirm all was working... doesn't mean it's not the problem, but there's been at least one test to the contrary.

If the hose clamp doesn't do it, then I will start into the breather tubes, starting with 77012-30101. Still hoping this can be fixed for $50..

Have you guys tried pulling the pump nozzle out from all the way in a bit? If that makes any sense? Like don't have the pump all the way in...I use the little spring thing around our pumps (in FL) to gauge by pulling it out one "loop" of the spring. Seems to work just fine for me, as opposed to cutting off ever 8 seconds when it's all the way in. Maybe that will help some of you; it's just anecdotal evidence of a fix, after all. Good luck! If yall sort out the real problem, I'd love to hear it. But this isn't the first vehicle I've had this be an issue. Had a Ram 1500 Van that was the same way :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom