Slow start now no start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe a better view will help!
038.JPG

I use needle nose pliers, channel locks and/or picks when removing wire housing blocks.

So I pulled off the crank sensor, it's shorted out. Crossing my fingers that's it. Will report back when I get the new one in. Weird that I got a cam code first though, what are the chances of them both going bad at the same time.

I got the crank sensor in today, IT TURNED OVER! I had to immediately turn it off because i dont have everything put back together i didnt want to shred the serpentine belt on a coolant line i hadnt secured yet but it started! Ill put everything back together tomorrow and let you guys know. Thank you guys for your help and encouragement to just not give up!

I got everything back together today. Runs great. Again, thanks to everyone that shared their knowledge and experience and helped me out with this. A couple things I learned here that might help someone in the future.

1. Slow start symptoms could be from bad cam/crank position sensors.
2. My high rpm misfire that triggered a p1300 code went away. This leads me to believe that bad cam/crank sensors could lead to high rpm misfires but not necessarily throw a p335 or p340 code if the sensor isnt completely shot yet.
3. Im not so sure the cam sensor was actually faulty, it may be possible that the computer will throw out a p340/cam sensor circuit code when actually its the crank sensor is faulty. I cannot confirm this because i didnt waste my time putting the old cam sensor back in.

Unfortunately the computer didnt lead me to the crank sensor until i was far along in this process but it wasnt too hard to pull the crank sensor off and check it with a multimeter and out of all the parts i replaced here it was the easiest to get to, so if you are having the same syptoms, i would suggest checking there first.

Thank you for posting the fix.

So I've already cruised the forums here and other places and cannot find an answer so here goes. I was having a slow start issue for several weeks. I went ahead and replaced the battery and starter. After i got done replacing the starter the truck did start up like it did before, no improvement, maybe stronger cranking being a new starter but pretty much same long crank before eventually starting. It ran fine, i drove it around the block, turned it off and started it again, seemed normal as in same as it was before the starter being put in, slow starts. I woke up the next day to go to work, it wouldnt start. It cranks and cranks and cranks but wouldnt start.

So heres what ive checked so far. Ive check all fuses in engine and in car, none blown. Ive replaced the efi relay and efi fuse. I took off the fuel hose coming off the fuel filter and when its cranked fuel gushes out. I took the coil and plug out and grounded it and cranked the engine, i had no spark, and i didnt smell fuel coming out of the spark plug hole so i assume no fuel coming out of the injector.

Now I do have some trouble codes at this point. One is p1300, this code has been on and off for a couple months, ive already replaced this coil but it only comes on when the engine is warmed up and rev'ed above 4000-4500 rpm's, it shudders, misfires and the light comes on. It rev's all the way up when cold no problem. When the truck sits over night the code went off by itself and it otherwise drove fine as long as i didnt push it. Its back and staying on now.

Second code is p0340. This is a new code that only came on after the completely no start issue. i did hook up my reader after the starter replacement and there were no codes at that time. Now it wont start, now i have this code. I pull off as much as i could without further disassembly the driver side timing cover and the belt looked in good shape, no fraying or cracks or anything. i also tested what i believe to be the wires leading to the cam position sensor, i forget what the resistance was but it was not an open circuit fwiw.

Tired of throwing parts at it wondering if any of this sounds familiar to anyone...Thanks
I wonder what symptoms would be with a bad EFI relay and fuse? Yes, i see this is an old thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom