slow build up of slow cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice build I have been thinking about doing a SOA on my 60 when I get my funds built up again

woo, got my diff cut perch today so its out to the garage to fit it. not as perfect as i hoped so far as i havew to round it out abit to fit the axle tube. anyone else have to do some surgery to it?

got some progress under the cruisers belt today!

0703121533-01.jpg

hoops and mounts

0703121534-01.jpg

0703121840-00.jpg

0703121854-00.jpg

took me awhile to figure out what i should do around the steering box and ended up with a copy of baxters build. If your going to copy someone copy him!

0703121839-01.jpg

0703121840-02.jpg

on the to do list.

Rear shocks and mounts
clearance crossmember to clear front driveshaft
front brake lines
bleed brakes
17" wheels to fit 36" iroks :(

might redo the front shackle mounts at some point as well. unless they sag out abit?

Great story.

So did you cut and turn the front?
Good work on the front shocks and hoops be be warned they might rub the front tires under compression... depending on back spacing and tire width.
I know mine are mighty close!

I dont have a DC in the rear and have no vibes at all. as long as the UJ's, splines and pinion angles are good there is no need. Gotta love the long wheel base of a Sixty.

Keep it coming!

No cut and turn, ive heard mixed reviews and i have another set of axles and a set of good used stock leaves to maybe lower it alot. Im trying to figure out a wheel currently and im going to go with the 17x9 2.5 backspacing. Need some bumpstops to keep the tires off the hoops but that will be after i drive it afew kms.

Going to have to re read your thread and check out your rear shock setup as well.

got bored and had afew minutes so i threw on the 33's

0706121926-01.jpg

0706121926-02.jpg

weird, the lines on the truck were 10mm bubble flare lines. factory line tee is 10mm inverted flare just like the soft lines at the calipers. worked like a charm and didnt leak a drop. i'm going to be doing 10mm inverted flare like it should have had lol

so been driving it alittle on and off but running into abit of driveline vibration like expected, maybe some pics will give you an idea, Little too much at the T case and not quite enough turn at the rear axle.

0813122047-03.jpg

0813122047-02.jpg

had the idea of a double cardon joint since i built it but was hoping to drive it alittle till i could track one down. keen eye would see that i still have no rear shocks. ordered them 2" too long so i have to get another set brought in. boo to me.

whats the best thing to get a cardon joint from? ifs front shafts?

60's are great, especially HJ60's - 2H's are good for a million kays if you treat em right and do your oil/filter every 5000. Can't believe you stumbled across a HJ60 up there! Weren't they all BJ's?

believe it or not theres 3 others that are daily drivers up here. Ones an older lady in her late 50's and another guy bought his new at the dealership here and has driven it daily to work since 1986 when he got his job at the pulp and paper mill. I've never even seen a gas job up here. afew bjs and a really nice jdm hj60 as well :)

parabolics are stiiiiiifffff.... came out of a bj60 and it had the same reviews as well, stiff as hell. Bilstien 5150's valved for a powerstroke ford probably adds to it as well. Hoping that with the winch and bumper it brings er down abit. Have yet to really flex er out to see how it works but so far its nice at road speeds.

hoops and mounts up front are trail gear, hard to beat their pricing and buying them thru Big Country Customs in bc is always a good time.

Last edited:
parabolics are stiiiiiifffff.... came out of a bj60 and it had the same reviews as well, stiff as ****. Bilstien 5150's valved for a powerstroke ford probably adds to it as well. Hoping that with the winch and bumper it brings er down abit. Have yet to really flex er out to see how it works but so far its nice at road speeds.

hoops and mounts up front are trail gear, hard to beat their pricing and buying them thru Big Country Customs in bc is always a good time.

Thanks Shancerlelby, I've heard as with any spring that the parabolics are stiff BUT, "sag" out really quick.. Keep us posted with updates on both please.

J

im actually hoping they sag abit, shackle angle is pretty gross close to vertical. heavy old 2h should beat em down alittle.

parabolics are stiiiiiifffff.... came out of a bj60 and it had the same reviews as well, stiff as hell. Bilstien 5150's valved for a powerstroke ford probably adds to it as well. Hoping that with the winch and bumper it brings er down abit. Have yet to really flex er out to see how it works but so far its nice at road speeds.

Thanks for the reply on that. Everything I had read I thought they were supposed to be pretty smooth relative to a regular spring pack. Looking forward to hear how they wear .

Alright well i have driven it on road today and realize there is far too much angle in the front driveshaft at the T case. Scavenged an 88 4runner cardan/ cardigan joint driveshaft but not seeing how to make this work. Also have yet to see a decent picture around here of one installed.

As far as i can see the ifs shaft has tiny u joints compared to the cruiser shaft. Splines are the same on either but with the ifs shaft i would have to redrill the t case output flange.

Oh and soa cruiser driving and ride quality are both awesome!

well i've got 4wd sortof, clearanced the yokes on the front shaft to stop it from binding and shimmed the rear axle 4 degrees, first time out i realized uphill in 4wd bottoms it out again so fast forward to last weekend where i bought a cardan shaft to make it all work, just have to redo the u joints and clearance the crossmemeber again.

oh, forgot to mention the cardan shaft was 500$ but it came with a really neat brown diesel thing attached

0923121910-00_zpsb3b54d02.jpg

drove home even after some messing with 10 years of spider webs, flat tires and dry brake masters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom