Slotted vs factory (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80rodngun

GOLD Star
Threads
rear caliper sprung a leak so I’m going to overhaul brakes, from what I’ve found on the inter webs there’s not a whole lot of options other than drilled slotted rotors variances. Slee has some nice looking high dollar rotors. Before I waste money I’d like to know from you guys that’s been there done that what’s the smartest route to take? Rotors calipers pads lines?

The drilled/slotted rotors are great if you are having issues with brake fade due to heat. If you've got a mostly stock truck that you don't drive real hard you probably won't see much difference over a factory rotor.

If your lines are original new ones couldn't hurt.

Rebuild the factory calipers if you can.

Get good quality pads, this is where you can gain some stopping power without a big investment over the standard pads.

Don't get drilled or slotted/drilled. Slotted are ok, as are genuine. Pad choice will have some effect but in most cases it's not worth going for fancy pads.

I've been running slotted front rotors with aftermarket 105 series pads and I'm sure the 105 series pads are really a waste of time now that I've tried them (two brands).

That said, everyone's driving habits are different.

Slotted/cross drilled won't really help on a truck like this, as you aren't doing any lapping, and street brake pad compounds don't have the same issues with off gassing as they once did, which is where the slotting/drilling really helped out to evacuate the gasses and maintain pad to rotor contact. Cross drilled can crack between the drill holes with time, slotted is much stronger in this respect. You want your rotor to have as much meat as possible so it is a better heat sink, for that reason OEM or good aftermarket like Terrain Tamer would be my recommendation.

If you're going to be in the mud, don't get slotted and drilled. They pick up debris and chew up pads. If you're DD mall-crawler like me, get the slotted and drilled because they are less expensive, but go with quality pads.

I have been using the Power Stop rotors and mid-level pads from Summit Racing due to cost. I tried the el-cheapo pads from O'Reilly and it has destroyed my braking ability and they pull one side or the other.

The other option is dealership pads and rotors.
www.partsouq.com
Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

I've always gone with a non-Chinese regular disc like Mountain. At least they used to be made in Japan. Don't know if they still are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom