Sloppy Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently joined the TLCA which led me here and I am looking forward to exploring the LC community. I have owned a 2000 LC for a little over 3 years and love the vehicle much more than I expected to. The vehicle has 270,000 miles, looks great and was obviously well maintained. However I have done a lot of repair/replacements. Including Transmission, front diff new suspension (springs/bars/shocks), and steering rack. I recently purchased new tires (Geolandar AT). My current issue is that the steering is loose and does a lot of wandering especially at highway speeds. I am looking for any advice or direction for repair/rebuild. I am some what mechanically inclined but not capable or willing to attempt this type or repair. I live in Statesville NC 28677 which is about 40 miles north of Charlotte NC and would like to find a good somewhat local mechanic. I have decided at least for the time being to keep the LC stock, I lean toward OE parts and am willing to spend premium for premium service. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Someone recently just posted this:

"If you have the shop add 1-2 degrees of caster above factory spec it will get rid of the light feel and the steering wheel will return to center easier. It also makes the truck track better on the highway.

This improved my steering feel significantly."

@kentnicholson
Hey Kent, come and check out the ONSC Clubhouse section of MUD and introduce yourself. Lots of active and helpful cruiser owners in the area.
Here is a link to a thread about local shops that is on the ONSC main page right now.

How high is the front end? If too high, it will wander all over the place.
Thanks for your interest! The front end is 1.5 inches below the rear as far as I know it is at or near factory settings. My issue is mainly at speeds over 50.

Someone recently just posted this:

"If you have the shop add 1-2 degrees of caster above factory spec it will get rid of the light feel and the steering wheel will return to center easier. It also makes the truck track better on the highway.

This improved my steering feel significantly."
Thanks for your suggestion. This is interesting and I will definitely pursue. I see you are close by me I am in Statesville. Do you have a shop you would recommend?

With 77 becoming more and more like a parking lot not sure if Charlotte is still what you consider local but check out H&H. Only shop i use in town because they are consistently good.

I recently had some issues caused by worn rack bushings, get under the car and have someone steer it in park and see if it’s moving around a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom