Sloppy steering in 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have about 1/2 inch slop in my steering while driving which is dot ok but tiresome and annoying. More than 300k on my 93 LC. Any easy fixes or replace steering box? Tires (michelin OEM 1/2 worn, shocks, still orig.) Thanx for info!

Check tie rod ends and drag link for slop first.

Try the adjustment screw on top of steering box. Search for instructions.

I have about 1/2 inch slop in my steering while driving which is dot ok but tiresome and annoying. More than 300k on my 93 LC. Any easy fixes or replace steering box? Tires (michelin OEM 1/2 worn, shocks, still orig.) Thanx for info!

There are a lot of things that will contribute to a vague and wandering feel from the 80. Shocks, bushings, tie rods, some wear in the gear box, trunion bearings, wheel bearings, toe in (alignment) being out of spec etc. The reality is that it is likely a combination of all of these with some effecting it more than others. Do some searches on each and you can likely start to eliminate some as a problem. Then address them one at a time.

Checking and setting the toe in is a simple DIY job you can do for free. Don't get overwhelmed and start throwing parts and money at it.
Depending on your end goals you may want to put off some bushing replacements until you know if you are going to add lift because depending on that choice, you may replace bushings with aftermarket castor bushings or use oem with castor plates.

I would not jump to the steering gear box and tighten it as a first go. You could damage the box if you are trying to take slop out there that is really some other problem.

Take your time, read a bunch of threads and start to tackle them as you get comfortable.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom